 Space / 91
Re: Space Station/Base Names (was Re: Space stations?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 20:39:25 GMT

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 McSpamcakeBoy mentioned:

I like it, though in order to preserve "Alpha 1", should we wish to do so,
everything that has a letter should also have a number; so Surface Base LD-A
would really be Surface Base LD-A1.

It could go that way, or LD-A could refer to the installation as a whole,
and LD-Ax would be specific models within LD-A.

If LD-A1 is the whole site, then the first model in the site would be
LD-A2, right?

We could further modify the ID subcode to
mean "sector A, base number 1" or "sector A1", that is, if we want to
alphabetize the sectors.

We could, but I'd rather not.  That could lead to post office readdressing,
if the sectors filled in later.  My preference would be to apply the
letters to each installation, in order of chronological appearance.  (I'd
also prefer that the first installation be a Moonbase. ;)  If we manage to
get more than 26 installations,

But this also kind of depends on how big sectors are, and how they could be
subdivided and/or organized. We know about quadrants eh? How many sectors in
are in one? Are sections divisions of sectors?

My preference is to not do sectors/quadrants/octants/whatever.  Or at
least, not to (generally) use them as part of the name of installations.

Something else too:  I think that "LD" might eventually be dropped from common
usage, at it'll be assumed. And it does not seem to add distinction amongst
the various installations.

LD isn't supposed to distinguish between the installations.  It's supposed
to unify them.  In the same way that Datsville could have neighborhoods,
but all the neighborhoods would still be part of Datsville.

Steve
(going off to look at Tom's chart,
<http://www.baylug.org/space/installations.htm>)