 Space / 42
Re: Space stations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:46:27 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Tom McDonald:

I am all for a space station. Who delivers a starting module
with docking options for other modules.

Wow. You mean establishing a docking standard so that our
MOC's could actually link/dock assuming we ever meet IRL?
That's cool and worth a few pictures when it ever happens.

I must admit that I consider Steve's docking ports[1] _the_
standard, but yes.

I like Steve's design and must build one and study it. His pocket door is very
nice, though I hafta admit that the pocket door system on the M3 is only 2
studs wide rather than Steve's 3.

Actually, the door in my system tends to stick too much, making it hard to
open and close.  Especially when the door is located in the middle of a
model, and is somewhat hard to get at.

I'd like to see a standard docking port that's slimmer than mine.  It would
be nice if it can act as a real-world support point, but that might not be
practical...

What might be in order here is maybe a sort of compromise/combination, a new
door entirely, or just a decision one way or the other denoting which is
"official". I don't mind whichever way the wind blows here.

How about we don't specify the door type in the standard?  Any port must
have an airtight door, but the exact spec doesn't really matter.

And any port which can also be used as a simple exit door must have a
complete airlock behind it.  But that's a side issue.

I suppose there should be a small cargo docking port (CDP) standard as well.
Perhaps anything larger would require special construction (and therefore
would be a big deal).

That's probably a good idea.

Steve