 Space / 72
71  |  73
Subject:
Space Station/Base Names (was Re: Space stations?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 23:44:14 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tom McDonald writes:
In lugnet.space, Steve Bliss writes:
Assuming there could end up being several "neighborhoods", allow some
generally description for the start of the name: "Station", "Planetary
Outpost", "Free Trade Installation".  Then put an ID code on the end,
"LD-x", where the x is a number unique to the neighborhood.

Then all the models for a neighborhood should use the same ID tag.  They
could even have sub-id tags "LD-2A", etc., etc.

What about this for a name? What if in honor of the first non-generically
named base, we name the spacebase "Alpha-1"? The name could apply to the whole
base, and we could add at least one 483 Alpha-1 Rocket Base to it just for • fun.

I'm still drawing a blank for a name of the spacestation itself. Nothing in
the official set listing has a name for a spacestation because all the space
sets TLG made are either ships or planetary-based stations. Looks like we'll
either have to steal one or invent one.

After reading your post again Steve, it seems I ignored it. And I ignored
Jonathan too. My apologies! Please forgive me.

I like your ideas now that I've read them again. And they can both work
together. Steve, to nitpick here, instead of sub-id tags like "LD-2A" what
about "LD-A2"? That way we could have a facility nicknamed "Alpha 1" or
Jonathan's "Alpha 2".

BTW, for some reason I think of "Station" to mean something that includes
civilian traffic and/or population, "Outpost" to be without civilian traffic,
but "Base" to mean something more substantial than "Station".(1)

A downside of this idea is that over time is that as bigger and bigger
installations continue to be made or added onto, some facilities could be
downgraded from "Base" to "Station" (though sub-id's would remain the same).

What do y'all think about that? Should that terminology be adopted, or are
there other thoughts, or is this needless nitpicking?

-Tom McD.
when replying, spamcake pellets make excellent snail-bait.

(1) Originally, I had thought of these terms in relation to a planetary body,
that is, "Stations" were only found in orbit or space, and "Bases" were only
on planets, but due to the lack of words to fit all the possible kinds of
installations, other nice short terms weren't to be found, or at least I've
forgotten them.