 Space / 84
Re: Space Station/Base Names (was Re: Space stations?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 16:32:00 GMT

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999 23:44:14 GMT, "Tom McDonald"
<radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:

After reading your post again Steve, it seems I ignored it. And I ignored
Jonathan too. My apologies! Please forgive me.

No biggie.  I wasn't clear on my post.  I said:

allow some
generally description for the start of the name: "Station", "Planetary
Outpost", "Free Trade Installation".

I meant each neighborhood would have a descriptive/category based on its
own peculiar nature.  Not that every site would necessarily have the same
description.  Or necessarily have different ones.  But I think you all
picked up on that.

I like your ideas now that I've read them again. And they can both work
together. Steve, to nitpick here, instead of sub-id tags like "LD-2A" what
about "LD-A2"? That way we could have a facility nicknamed "Alpha 1" or
Jonathan's "Alpha 2".

That sounds cool.  "Alpha 2" sounds better on the commbox than "2 Alpha".
:)

BTW, for some reason I think of "Station" to mean something that includes
civilian traffic and/or population, "Outpost" to be without civilian traffic,
but "Base" to mean something more substantial than "Station".(1)

(1) Originally, I had thought of these terms in relation to a planetary body,
that is, "Stations" were only found in orbit or space, and "Bases" were only
on planets, but due to the lack of words to fit all the possible kinds of
installations, other nice short terms weren't to be found, or at least I've
forgotten them.

I was thinking along the lines of your original thought.   It could still
work: "Station Outpost" could be a remote installation in deep space, while
"Base Outpost" would be a remote, planet-side site.  Actually, "Base
Outpost" is more of an oxymoron, since an outpost is explicitly not part of
a base.

But "Station" and "Base" probably aren't the best words to use for
identifying location.  Base should be a big military thing, Station has a
lot of traffic, probably a mix of civ & mil, and Outpost is somewhere where
not a lot of people go, so there isn't much traffic of any type.

Let's see if I can find some synonyms.  Here's a good one: outstation for
outpost.

Others:
Camp
Colony
Base
Post
Depot
Terminal
Waystation

(BTW, www.thesaurus.com is pretty sucky. All the above terms came from
MS-Word's thesaurus.  Or my fevered brain.)

How about adding modifiers for location, such as "Surface", "Mobile" (in
space and maneuverable), "Orbiting" (going around a natural body)?
"Outworld" could mean either remote or off-planet.

Surface Base LD-A
Mobile Outpost LD-B
Orbiting Outstation LD-C

Other modifiers could be used for the purpose of the site. Such as a
observation post, a mining camp, a drydock station, or a trading
settlement.

A downside of this idea is that over time is that as bigger and bigger
installations continue to be made or added onto, some facilities could be
downgraded from "Base" to "Station" (though sub-id's would remain the same).

I'd assume that as installations grew, they'd be upgraded.  So a site which
starts out as a Station might grow over time, and become a Base.  If a site
doesn't change, it wouldn't be downgraded.  Just bypassed by other, more
active, sites.

What do y'all think about that? Should that terminology be adopted, or are
there other thoughts, or is this needless nitpicking?

Nitpicking can be fun.

Steve