 Space / 92
Re: Space Station/Base Names (was Re: Space stations?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:19:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, Steve Bliss writes:
On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 McSpamcakeBoy mentioned:

I like it, though in order to preserve "Alpha 1", should we wish to do so,
everything that has a letter should also have a number; so Surface Base LD-A
would really be Surface Base LD-A1.

It could go that way, or LD-A could refer to the installation as a whole,
and LD-Ax would be specific models within LD-A.

I your idea better.

If LD-A1 is the whole site, then the first model in the site would be
LD-A2, right?

I'd rather keep it that 1 means the first thing.

[...]
My preference would be to apply the
letters to each installation, in order of chronological appearance.  (I'd
also prefer that the first installation be a Moonbase. ;)

Good, and I agree. Duane hasn't been as vocal as we have but I know he wants
that base :-) I do too, and the moon is a great place to start. And again I'll
just say that I think the first installation should be the Alpha-1 Rocket
Base. Plus the cool name of "Moonbase Alpha" is applicable too :-)

We could further modify the ID subcode to
mean "sector A, base number 1" or "sector A1", that is, if we want to
alphabetize the sectors.

We could, but I'd rather not.  That could lead to post office readdressing,
if the sectors filled in later.

True. That could get ugly.

But this also kind of depends on how big sectors are, and how they could be
subdivided and/or organized. We know about quadrants eh? How many sectors in
are in one? Are sections divisions of sectors? If we manage to
get more than 26 installations,

My preference is to not do sectors/quadrants/octants/whatever.

My thinking behind using sectional units was only if someone ever wanted to
map out how space was being populated, or where their "cool spacebase" was, it
might be fun.

Maybe, if at all, were you thinking to label sections of space with more
proper names, such as "Badlands", "Star Nursery", or after major nearby stars,
and other terms like that?

Or at
least, not to (generally) use them as part of the name of installations.

True again, especially where mobile installations are concerned.

Something else too:  I think that "LD" might eventually be dropped from • common
usage, at it'll be assumed. And it does not seem to add distinction amongst
the various installations.

LD isn't supposed to distinguish between the installations.  It's supposed
to unify them.  In the same way that Datsville could have neighborhoods,
but all the neighborhoods would still be part of Datsville.

I get you now. I must've been under medication earlier.

-Tom McD.
when replying, umm.. yeah. spamcake. find it. remove it.