 Space / 142
Re: Space Station/Base Names (was Re: Space stations?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 11:08:08 GMT

Which reminds me: if we use faster than light (FTL) velocities, what kind • of
velocity scale do we want to adopt?

Parsecs per hour?  Which might not apply, depending on the technology.

That sounds fast enough to me!  I mean, on a bad morning, some people
get a headache *walking* from the bedroom to the bathroom!

It all comes down to distance and time (doh!).  The further apart the
installations, the faster we need to go.  Would a week/month's travel
between installations be about right?  If so, work out v and s from t!

I wasn't thinking anything specific, except I wanted to avoid names like
"Space Station <3.45, 4.65, -2.56>".

This got me thinking about the way that towns and cities on Earth have
picked up their names.  I mean, I live in Congleton which is from the
Roman meaning "Corner Town" as the town grew up in the inside corner
of a bend in a river.  Just up the road, there's Newcastle-Under-Lyme,
from the time when a New castle was built (to replace the old one)
at the bottom of the hill where the old castle was (among a field of
lyme trees).

So Space Station <3.45, 4.65, -2.56> could well have that designation
and be nicknamed "Tertiary Trading Outpost" if it does a lot of trade
and is near a tertiary star system?

Whatever!

David.

Steve