 Space / 35
Re: Space stations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:07:10 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jacob Sparre Andersen writes:
Tom McDonald:

I am all for a space station. Who delivers a starting module
with docking options for other modules.

Wow. You mean establishing a docking standard so that our
MOC's could actually link/dock assuming we ever meet IRL?
That's cool and worth a few pictures when it ever happens.

I must admit that I consider Steve's docking ports[1] _the_
standard, but yes.

I like Steve's design and must build one and study it. His pocket door is very
nice, though I hafta admit that the pocket door system on the M3 is only 2
studs wide rather than Steve's 3. At www.baylug.org/titan/pw/m3.htm see the
new links at the bottom of the M3 module page where you can download a basic
M3 DAT (and/or the observation module), so you can examine that docking port
which includes a sliding door model and a flip door for those applications
that need it. All doors are currently in a working M3 model.

What might be in order here is maybe a sort of compromise/combination, a new
door entirely, or just a decision one way or the other denoting which is
"official". I don't mind whichever way the wind blows here. I'd love a
discussion of "making the perfect docking port". Of course there can be more
than one kind of docking port too. So far this kind only looks like a
personnel type, and even lighter duty at that.

I would probably build my modules with more than one kind of
docking port, just to make sure a connection is possible.

I suppose there should be a small cargo docking port (CDP) standard as well.
Perhaps anything larger would require special construction (and therefore
would be a big deal).

Of course adapter "rings" or segments adapting one docking system to another
could be made, but that's not as neat and tidy.

-Tom McD.
when replying, Hogan's Heroes always bribed Schultz with spamcake.