 Space / 149
Re: Space Station/Base Names (was Re: Space stations?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 19:52:08 GMT

On Sat, 2 Oct 1999 11:00:10 GMT, "Mr D Leese"
<MRLEESE@genius1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

How big a chunk of space do you want to start with?  And should use real
space-time, or just make it up?  And what method of surveying do would be
best?  Where would the origin be?  Galactic center?  Sol?  Something
arbitrary?

I think the centre of the galaxy would be a good idea, if only as it
will simplify the Maths!  If we said that Earth was (0,0,0) then the
x,y and z axes would be moving all the time.  For one season the Sun is at
(1,0,1) and the next it's at (-1,0,1).  Having said that, it might
help if we always considered the sun to be at the origin (0,0,0) and
the x axis always points to the Earth.  Except the whole universe then
starts rotating at one revolution per year?

It's too detailed for the discussion at hand, but I was wondering if it
would be practical to use several systems.  For interstellar travel, use
galactic coordinates.  For in-system travel, use solar coordinates.  On a
planet's surface, use the local latitude/longitude.  Basically, use the
nearest large gravity well as a reference point. ;)

Steve