 Space / 148
147  |  149
Subject:
Microfig Design Notes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 17:48:35 GMT

Hi all,
I've been experimenting with microfig spaceships and I found a bunch of things
that really improve, IMHO, the looks and playability of microfig scale
vehicles:
-If you are doing official models in micro like myself, modularity like for
the Blacktron I sets can be achieved by hinge plates.
-Large wheels like those on the SPI Spy Trak I and MT Celestial Forager
(Sorry, the set #s escape me) look really good if you reduce them to two
pieces: a 1x1 cylinder brick, and a small tire without a hubcap. Put the tire
around the cylinder, and you can now mount the wheel without large and not-
good-for-micro-scale axles. They don't turn, but it looks very good.
-I found that the easiest way to do wind screens is 1x1 clear plates and
tiles. Pre-SPI wind screens look good as 1x1 tiles, and SPI and post-SPI wind
screens look good as a 1x1 tile with a 1x1 plate and 1x1 tile stacked behind
it. Curved wind screens like the one in the 6876 Alienator look good as 1x1
flat rounds.
-For articulation like in the BTI Battrax and MT Celestial Forager, I use 1x1
bricks with vertical handle, and two 1x1 clips attatched to the handle, with a
1x1 plate separating the clips. Three pronged hinge rods with a stud on one
end also work when they have a clip attatched to them.
I am hoping to have pictures of some of my vehicles with these elemnets added
to my website soon. "Microfying" official sets is very fun, and I hope these
small things help some people or something :) If not, I just wasted a whole
lot of space.
Greg "Get on with it, monkey boy!" Majewski
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/1888/abs.html