 Space / 121
Re: The LD environment (or, Datsville in Space)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:44:13 GMT

I'm not sure what all the hubub is about regards what is or isn't "allowed"
into someone's design. What is our "Current Space Technology" anyway? We
(humans of Earth) can build (with a whole lot of agument between nations and
corporations) a space station, a space shuttle, a few rockets and satellites.
Big deal.

When I build something for space, it is usually based on my favorite Sci-Fi
resources - TV, movies, painting/artwork and books, or mostly my own
imagination about "something I'd like to try". At the time I'm building it,
the most important questions are: Does it look the way I want it to?, Can I
make it do more? Is it cool? Would someone else like to see it?

Most of the time the political/technology questions don't come up. What does a
force field generator look like? How would you tell if any particular design
is FTL by looking at it? Does it matter to the way it was built?

I was under the impression that the idea behind any .DAT posting is to share
building ideas visually. A reference resource, if you will. I don't think we
need to spend our time defining the universe our models belong to BEFORE
making them. Let's just make some models, share our techniques, and see if it
works. If someone comes up with a design for a "thing", then that person can
share their design for use by others.

I do like the idea of having some common points of contact: scale, interface
(airlock standards, etc.), but I don't like the idea of trying to "keep one
universe".

I know from my own experience, that if you give three people the same set of
pieces and let them build the same "model" (whatever the object goal, without
instructions), each will build differently. And, further, by observing the
ways they build, I ALWAYS learn something new, something I would never have
thought of by myself. This, to me is the philosopy we should be aiming at. Not
focusing on how we all can play in the same pre-defined sandbox.

Sorry about being verbose, but this discussion has triggered me to step up on
my soapbox.

I'll step down now. All feedback is welcome, even if you think I'm just full
of it.

Wayne