 Space / 120
Re: The LD environment (or, Datsville in Space)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:38:53 GMT

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:50:38 GMT, "Tom McDonald"
<radiotitan@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:

Though I gotta agree with Duane to the extent that if there are field-type FTL
drive units (like Star Trek), then there should be other kinds of usuable
fields.

It's definitely something to be decided.

To offer a compromise: what if we can limit force-field uses? That might help
a bit. Maybe long term exposure could pose health hazards or something. Maybe
the power cost is too formidable. If we keep their uses small (and maybe, if
any, development gradual) it might help. But maybe that'll lock us into too
specific of a date in time, where technology would be stagnant. Yet maybe we
want that, at least for awhile.

Yep, make force-fields possible, but too expensive to be practical.

Earth, the home planet of humans, is one of the larger planets, in terms of
population and power.  There is a world government, but it is a republic
built from the nation-states.  The world government mostly deals with
interstellar issues.

Gotta speak up here (minor point): if the world gov't deals with interstellar
issues, what would the United Planets org do? A UP sounds good, but it needs
some purpose and teeth.

Oops.  The world gov't deals with issues throughout the Sol system.  Maybe
there are colonies on other planets, but other than those, any
installations local to Sol report to the world government (via the
Moonbase).

Interstellarly, there would be a lot of leeway for planetary governments to
exert their influence.  Even if the UPO has funding (and thus resources),
they are probably limited in their effectiveness.  The planetary
governments can make treaties, oppress peasant, protect friends and exploit
asteroids.  Not to mention exploration and research activities.  And
establish the odd theme park.

Earth maintains a presence throughout the Sol system.

Hi, I'm on Pluto. Please turn up the heat. Thanks. Hey, three-eyes: take a
hike!

:)

No other governments have any installations in our sphere of control.

That should be true for any system. I can imagine that to be a condition for
UP admittance.

Maybe, maybe not.  Earth is powerful, so we don't let anyone else in.  If
somebody wants to do something around here, we can make a deal, but *we*
will be in charge.  That might happen if the bugs from Aldebaraan want to
study the atmosphere of Saturn.  We'd set up a research platform, and we'd
administer it, and they'd do their research on it.

Excellent. Folks could design and show equipment, facilities, and civilian
stuff from times past. The Alpha-1 Rocket Base might no longer be functioning
but it might be a part of a military museum now, a museum on permanent
inactive duty, so it could still be official, even after all these years.

Cool idea. I hadn't thought of that angle.

Steve