 Space / 108
Re: The LD environment (or, Datsville in Space)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 00:44:01 GMT

In lugnet.space, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.space, Steve Bliss writes:
Sorry for the length on this, I was on a roll...

This is a disconnected follow-up to the current discussion about setting up
a second project like Datsville, but set in Space instead of Town.

Before we start posting models, or defining installations, it would be a
good idea to figure out the background environment (culture, technology
level, politics, etc.).  That way, we'll know what types of models to post,
and what installations to create, and how to avoid glaring inconsistencies.

I agree

Here's my write-up of the LD universe.  I'm throwing this out in hopes of
starting discussion, not because I think it should be this way.

My take on this project is it should stay closer to hard science fiction
than to space opera, or Star Trek technology.  More realistic ships,
stations, and equipment.  Fewer light sabres, transporters, and force
fields.  The only truly "fantastic technology" should be interstellar
drives.  There may even be different kinds of interstellar drives.

Fantastic Technology built science fiction, which eventually built science. I'm
sure many an astronaut/cosmonaut or seaman aboard a
diesel/gasoline/nuclear-powered submarine owes his career to Jules Verne.
However, I'll "try" to keep it simple.

The political environment is an interstellar culture, in a period of
exploration and colonization.  There are currently a handful of independant
planetary governments, possibly under an umbrella "United Planets"
organization.  Some of these governments are former colonies, some are
alien species.  There are also some organizations which are not tied to
specific planets or governments.

How about rogue militias, rebel bands and the like? Fighters are a popular
ship design and there needs to be a use for them if only for intimidation
and Cold War rhetoric.

Everyone LOVES Cold War rhetoric! How about a peace-keeping/planet-defending
organization that runs completely independent of galactic police units.
Already, I have a group of interplanetary "superheroes" that protect peaceful
colonies/planets from more malevolent forces in space. However, the
transformation technology that some of their equipment carries, as well as the
use of more articulated robots will seem very unique to the rest of the space
scene. In addition, they (as well as their conquering counterparts in my own
plans) will make use of pre-existing TLG vehicles and bases either with new
color schemes or major modifications.

There are also a fair number of colonies of various sizes.  Each of the
planetary governments has some colonies.  Some of the bigger colonies have
colonies.  Depending on the planet, there may be several colonies on one
planet, established by different governments.

Humans are only one of the two or three main species in the region.  There
may be any number of other species; they are visitors from other unknown
regions, or possibly the expatriate remnants of lost worlds.

Speaking of which, I have a colony in mind which makes use of different species
living together. By the way, how do you feel about a space colony sporting
onion domes?

Earth, the home planet of humans, is one of the larger planets, in terms of
population and power.  There is a world government, but it is a republic
built from the nation-states.  The world government mostly deals with
interstellar issues.

Earth maintains a presence throughout the Sol system.  No other governments
have any installations in our sphere of control.

Actually, my heroes would have one Earth-base.

Moonbase Alpha was the one of the first permanent human installation
located off-Earth.  It remains a vital part of the terran interstellar
organization, organizing and controlling the activities of most other
non-colonial terran space efforts.  At one time, there was a significant
Lunar colony, but over time this colony has disappeared; no one wants to
live on the Moon.  But there is still a large population of government
officials and employees, including strong research and military groups.

Steve

You know, that's funny. My group has a Moonbase 1, too. :}

James J.
(If you see a version of the Renegade with a purple trim and a second or third
command pod attached to it--RUN! If you see a Moonbase with a small
room-shaped tank attached to it or a blue or cyan space-fighter in your path,
stand back and let them do their jobs.)