 Space / 102
101  |  103
Subject:
The LD environment (or, Datsville in Space)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:15:08 GMT

Sorry for the length on this, I was on a roll...

This is a disconnected follow-up to the current discussion about setting up
a second project like Datsville, but set in Space instead of Town.

Before we start posting models, or defining installations, it would be a
good idea to figure out the background environment (culture, technology
level, politics, etc.).  That way, we'll know what types of models to post,
and what installations to create, and how to avoid glaring inconsistencies.

Here's my write-up of the LD universe.  I'm throwing this out in hopes of
starting discussion, not because I think it should be this way.

My take on this project is it should stay closer to hard science fiction
than to space opera, or Star Trek technology.  More realistic ships,
stations, and equipment.  Fewer light sabres, transporters, and force
fields.  The only truly "fantastic technology" should be interstellar
drives.  There may even be different kinds of interstellar drives.

The political environment is an interstellar culture, in a period of
exploration and colonization.  There are currently a handful of independant
planetary governments, possibly under an umbrella "United Planets"
organization.  Some of these governments are former colonies, some are
alien species.  There are also some organizations which are not tied to
specific planets or governments.

There are also a fair number of colonies of various sizes.  Each of the
planetary governments has some colonies.  Some of the bigger colonies have
colonies.  Depending on the planet, there may be several colonies on one
planet, established by different governments.

Humans are only one of the two or three main species in the region.  There
may be any number of other species; they are visitors from other unknown
regions, or possibly the expatriate remnants of lost worlds.

Earth, the home planet of humans, is one of the larger planets, in terms of
population and power.  There is a world government, but it is a republic
built from the nation-states.  The world government mostly deals with
interstellar issues.

Earth maintains a presence throughout the Sol system.  No other governments
have any installations in our sphere of control.

Moonbase Alpha was the one of the first permanent human installation
located off-Earth.  It remains a vital part of the terran interstellar
organization, organizing and controlling the activities of most other
non-colonial terran space efforts.  At one time, there was a significant
Lunar colony, but over time this colony has disappeared; no one wants to
live on the Moon.  But there is still a large population of government
officials and employees, including strong research and military groups.

Steve