 Space / 107
Re: The LD environment (or, Datsville in Space)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:50:38 GMT

In lugnet.space, Steve Bliss writes:
Sorry for the length on this, I was on a roll...

If it's got a lot of good stuff then it's not a problem!

Before we start posting models, or defining installations, it would be a
good idea to figure out the background environment (culture, technology
level, politics, etc.).  That way, we'll know what types of models to post,
and what installations to create, and how to avoid glaring inconsistencies.

Good.

My take on this project is it should stay closer to hard science fiction
than to space opera, or Star Trek technology.  More realistic ships,
stations, and equipment.  Fewer light sabres, transporters, and force
fields.  The only truly "fantastic technology" should be interstellar
drives.  There may even be different kinds of interstellar drives.

I agree. Less "magic" and more substance. I vote for no energy-matter
converters (which includes transporters) at all, unless it is experienced in
extremely rare isolated incidents with some previously unknown superspecies
that is way beyond what we know. And no cloaking devices.

Though I gotta agree with Duane to the extent that if there are field-type FTL
drive units (like Star Trek), then there should be other kinds of usuable
fields.

To offer a compromise: what if we can limit force-field uses? That might help
a bit. Maybe long term exposure could pose health hazards or something. Maybe
the power cost is too formidable. If we keep their uses small (and maybe, if
any, development gradual) it might help. But maybe that'll lock us into too
specific of a date in time, where technology would be stagnant. Yet maybe we
want that, at least for awhile.

The political environment is an interstellar culture, in a period of
exploration and colonization.  There are currently a handful of independant
planetary governments, possibly under an umbrella "United Planets"
organization.  Some of these governments are former colonies, some are
alien species.  There are also some organizations which are not tied to
specific planets or governments.

Good. Not everyone has joined: some will, some won't, some ain't happy.

There are also a fair number of colonies of various sizes.  Each of the
planetary governments has some colonies.  Some of the bigger colonies have
colonies.  Depending on the planet, there may be several colonies on one
planet, established by different governments.

Especially in cases where no dominant sentient species has been located.

Humans are only one of the two or three main species in the region.  There
may be any number of other species; they are visitors from other unknown
regions, or possibly the expatriate remnants of lost worlds.

Good. Aliens are good, but we don't need to be up to our armpits in them just
yet.

Earth, the home planet of humans, is one of the larger planets, in terms of
population and power.  There is a world government, but it is a republic
built from the nation-states.  The world government mostly deals with
interstellar issues.

Gotta speak up here (minor point): if the world gov't deals with interstellar
issues, what would the United Planets org do? A UP sounds good, but it needs
some purpose and teeth.

Earth maintains a presence throughout the Sol system.

Hi, I'm on Pluto. Please turn up the heat. Thanks. Hey, three-eyes: take a
hike!

No other governments have any installations in our sphere of control.

That should be true for any system. I can imagine that to be a condition for
UP admittance.

Moonbase Alpha was the one of the first permanent human installation
located off-Earth.  It remains a vital part of the terran interstellar
organization, organizing and controlling the activities of most other
non-colonial terran space efforts.  At one time, there was a significant
Lunar colony, but over time this colony has disappeared; no one wants to
live on the Moon.  But there is still a large population of government
officials and employees, including strong research and military groups.

Excellent. Folks could design and show equipment, facilities, and civilian
stuff from times past. The Alpha-1 Rocket Base might no longer be functioning
but it might be a part of a military museum now, a museum on permanent
inactive duty, so it could still be official, even after all these years.

-Tom McD.
when replying, heigh-o Spamcake! awaaaay!