 Space / 44
Re: Space stations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:21:50 GMT

In lugnet.space, Steve Bliss writes:
Tom McDonald:
I like Steve's design and must build one and study it. His pocket door is • very
nice, though I hafta admit that the pocket door system on the M3 is only 2
studs wide rather than Steve's 3.

Actually, the door in my system tends to stick too much, making it hard to
open and close.  Especially when the door is located in the middle of a
model, and is somewhat hard to get at.

Hmm, now that you mention it, mine sticks a bit too. "Snug" or "tight" would
be appropriate terms for the M3 pocket doors. But that's because they're
pocket types, the basic design concept that we both used. You've completely
enclosed the pocket for your doors, whereas I didn't. Given the constraints
(making it as small as possible, but also so that a door doesn't slide open at
a mere tilt of the craft) it might be a bit more of a challenge to come up
with something that opens a bit easier but doesn't open accidentally.

While locking mechanisms could be used, it means using more pieces, although
something just came to mind which I'll hafta test out... I'll get back to
y'all later. :-)

I'd like to see a standard docking port that's slimmer than mine.  It would
be nice if it can act as a real-world support point, but that might not be
practical...

I've noticed that, even with a 4-pin docking support that the M3 has, other
craft of significant length and weight (say another M3), will pull out if
unsupported, though the walls around the docking port of each module survived
okay. The real strength (and this could be true IRL) would be how the modules
would be arranged, that is, using other modules to build a stable physical
matrix, perhaps a cube or something similar, so that no one connection is
supporting all the mass.

What might be in order here is maybe a sort of compromise/combination, a new
door entirely, or just a decision one way or the other denoting which is
"official". I don't mind whichever way the wind blows here.

How about we don't specify the door type in the standard?  Any port must
have an airtight door, but the exact spec doesn't really matter.

Sounds good to me. The M3 itself uses 2 kinds of doors.

Independent of doorframe construction, should doorway size itself matter here?
It might look better.

And any port which can also be used as a simple exit door must have a
complete airlock behind it.  But that's a side issue.

Well that's just plain good safety :-)

-Tom McD.
when replying, spamcake... it's what's for dinner.

Re: Space stations?
I've noticed that, even with a 4-pin docking support that the M3 has,
other craft of significant length and weight (say another M3), will pull • out
if unsupported, though the walls around the docking port of each module
survived okay. The real strength (and this could be true IRL) would be • how the
modules would be arranged, that is, using other modules to build a • stable
physical matrix, perhaps a cube or something similar, so that no one
connection is supporting all the mass.

If this is a space station, gravity isn't necessarily a concern.
Connections could be weak if the station was assembled in orbit and
stayed in orbit.
--Bram

Re: Space stations?
I've noticed that, even with a 4-pin docking support that the M3 has,
other craft of significant length and weight (say another M3), will pull • out
if unsupported, though the walls around the docking port of each module
survived okay. The real strength (and this could be true IRL) would be • how the
modules would be arranged, that is, using other modules to build a • stable
physical matrix, perhaps a cube or something similar, so that no one
connection is supporting all the mass.

If this is a space station, gravity isn't necessarily a concern.
Connections could be weak if the station was assembled in orbit and
stayed in orbit.

That's quite true. But I was thinking of situations where gravity would have
some small influence on the station itself, perhaps with cumulative effects
over time, such as being in a planet's orbit with a nearby moon pulling at it,
however slight, year after year. Such stress might eventually weaken the
connecting joints. Yet the minifigs should have _something_ to fix :-)

I also thought about another "what if" scenario such as, "what if the station
was rotating to provide gravity?" That would definitely cause stress.

But while all the above is nitpicking to be sure here in "Pretendland", I was
thinking more along the lines of fun, and being able to effectively endure
stresses inflicted during attack :-)  Maybe it's not necessary though.

-Tom McD.
when replying, sprinkle catnip on a spamcake, sit back, and enjoy the fun!

Re: Space stations?