 Off-Topic / Debate / 23800
Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:27:40 GMT

   Yes. Do you claim to only believe in things that are provable? In the final analysis, what would you say about a devout scientist who believed in God? Is he/she compromised as a scientific thinker?

Well, I guess I’d say that I believe only in those things for which there is empirical evidence or which can, in principle, be proven.

As far as a devout scientist is concerned, I say go right ahead! I would, however, offer that IMO the devout scientist has not (or has chosen not to) subject that portion of his life to scientific analysis, but there’s nothing wrong with that. Additionally, if the scientist asserts that she has verified her faith scientifically, I’d love to see the evidence. If the evidence is compelling, perhaps I’ll adopt her belief. If the evidence is not compelling, then I will express my reservations to her.

   Freedom of religion doesn’t mean “freedom from religion”.

As a matter of fact, I think it means *exactly* that. More specifically, it means “freedom from government endorsement of religion.” I recognize that my definition of “endorsement” differs from yours, but that’s another matter.

Yes, but I’m curious. There are so many Judeo-Christian references and images that permeate our federal governmental buildings-- how do you account for this? Do you assert that we are currently a Theocracy?

I don’t believe we’re currently a Theocracy, though I do assert that there are inappropriately mingled elements of church & state in the structure of our government. I don’t object to legitimagely cultural or historical reliigious elements existing in public venues, as long as these are not framed as endorsements, but “under God” was specifically added to The Pledge as an endorsement, and thus it’s inappropriate.

   Here are a few possibilities I hadn’t considered at the time: What if the nation chooses not to accept our help?

Interesting, but I can’t imagine anyone refusing freedom (freely). Regarding Iraq, I believe it is an activist and extremist minority that wants the US out (fueled by al-Qaeda). We mustn’t let those terrorists dictate policy for the whole nation (because they don’t represent them).

Hard to say, alas. There’s a thin line between liberator and occupier, and I think we crossed it a while ago. I’ve read that many of the people opposed to our being there simply find us to be objectionably overbearing in our presence. If I moved into your living room, even if my stated goal were to improve your life, I expect you’d tire of my presence before long. And, out of respect for my host’s values, I wouldn’t even bring my MEGABLOKS.

   I know that you disagree with this, and I reluctantly accept that the Supreme Court is likely to disagree with this, but in my view it is the correct decision.

If they do find against striking “under God”, it will be because of the lack of tangible evidence of religious endorsement by government IMO.

That may be the claim, but I don’t find it convincing, given the statements of Congress and the President at the time when “under God” was added to The Pledge. After all, Eisenhower is on record proclaiming it as an oath of fealty to the Christian God!

   I think the problem (of trust) lies in the office itself. There is so much going on behind the scenes that intelligent and informed conclusions just cannot be adequately drawn-- especially since most of that information is being provided by biased media (given to them by biased a biased White House).

That’s not a bad answer, but it doesn’t justify all of Dubya’s secrecy and prevarication. He’s had plenty of opportunities to inspire trust and confidence without compromising national security or national interests, and yet he’s still chosen to hide behind closed doors.

A reasonable critic could be forgiven for wondering if such secrecy implies wrong-doing.

   I reserve the right to reshape my answer, once I’ve been given a solid definition of “obscene or profane.”

Don’t hold your breath;-) And that is not meant as a slam on anyone-- how can those terms ever be finally defined? They are based on temporal, cultural attitudes.

I agree, though I caution you that you’re veering dangerously close to moral relativism (come on in, by the way--the relativism is fine!)

It’s fine that these are temporal attitudes, but the corresponding penalties should not be absolute, as they are in danger of becoming. If Infinity Broadcasting (and the stations that carry Howard Stern) were fined $2.7million for a single episode, then that is effectively the imposition of an absolute ban. The punishment should fit the crime, after all, and I can’t believe that any speech (short of slander, or “shouting fire”) can justifiably be fined so severely.

   In the meantime, I would definitely state that the intolerance, homophobia, and desire to recreate the US Government as a theocracy are obscene, bordering in many cases on “hate speech.”

But you wouldn’t advocate the censorship of them I take it.

Right, other than for the sorts of exceptions I mentioned above.

   But the examples you gave are ideas; what about the simple, gratuitous vulgar use of language, a la RM’s thoughtful tirade?

Doesn’t bother me, honestly. Of course, since LUGNET is private property with explicit Terms of Service, it is not inappropriate to exclude someone based on violation of those Terms. If I were in violation, I fully expect that I would be excluded, too.

However, I note with interest that the dreaded F-Word has appeared in its various permutations over a dozen times on LUGNET without corresponding censure of those users. I’m not calling for their removal, but it can hardly be said that the word is an automatic cause for censure.

   However, I don’t assert that all religious programming is likewise hateful, in the same way that not all morning radio commentators are Howard Stern.

Curious. Did you have any problems with Stern over public airwaves?

No. Often his content is boring and sophomoric, but it has never struck me as actionably obscene.

Now that I think of it, I’m wholly unfamiliar with the particulars of FCC licensing. If Howard (or Imus, or anyone else) contractuallly agreed to certain terms and then violated them, it is entirely appropriate for the FCC to enforce the contract, but it’s still excessive to levy a multi-million dollar fine.

   Oh, just thought of something else I’d appreciate your opinion on-- what did you make of Kerry’s use of vulgarity in print interviews?

Again, it doesn’t bother me (but I read Bukowski and Burroughs, so Kerry’s lukewarm profanity carries no shock value, even in context).

Dave!