 Off-Topic / Debate / 23732
Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:16:32 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   Well, heck, those wacky Iraqis might vote for Islamic extremists - an eventuality that the Guy Not Elected by “Yankees” did not even consider.

I think it is a bit offensive and even racist to believe that any human being wouldn’t want to be free if truly given the chance.

Maybe, or maybe not. In terms of religion and faith, you yourself are far less free than I am--wouldn’t you want to be free in the first place?

But it is my choice to limit myself, and frankly, to advocate complete freedom without responsibility is to be an Anarchist, not a freedom-lover.

   And in any case, why must the American Vision of Freedom be the universal solution for everyone? For example, I don’t agree with Dubya’s Vision of Freedom, so why should we expect a historically different culture to trust him?

I’m not sure what you mean here. Freedom is freedom. What is Bush’s vision that differs from yours?

   Let’s face it, why should Bush support the will of the people? If he did he wouldn’t be President. :-) :-(

He supports the will of the people who wrote our Constitution the way they did-- you don’t seriously have a problem with that, do you?

Are you kidding? He did an end-run around the Consitutional process for declaring war,

He’s in good company-- most of our conflicts transpired without declarations of war from Congress....

   he’s bypassed legislative checks-and-balances to appoint Exreme-Right activists to the judiciary,

No. Democratic stonewalling forced him to use perfectly legal measures. Your “extreme-right” characterization is opinion and merely reflects a clash of wills and ideologies between Liberals and Conservatives.

   he’s worked very hard to institute policy respecting the establishment of religion,

You and I have very different ideas as to what “establishing” a religion means. You have a very theoretical idea, and I have a very practical idea.

   he’s eliminated the openness and transparency necessary (and desired by the founding fathers) fundamental to maintaining democracy, and he’s lied to the American people and Congress. He has not upheld the duty of his office, and he has utterly failed to “preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

I’m not sure as to the specifics of your allegations, so I assume you are just stating opinion again.

   But I have to wonder: what is the record length of time for milking a joke? Surely the teat is dry by now? :-)

Careful--talk like that will get you fined $275,000.00!

Was that amount per, or total in sum? Anyway, I think it’s good to clean up the public airwaves. Let Stern pollute private airwaves with his pablum.

   Honestly--if a Liberal-majority Supreme Court had appointed Gore to the Presidency, and if, afterwards, Gore to Dubya’s lengths to damage domestic economic health and foreign relations, would you be happy to sit back and pretend Gore was a great president (as Dubya’s apologists like to pretend that Dubya is)?

What makes you think that our domestic economic health is bad? Seen interest rates lately? I wasn’t even charged interest on my new Jeep!

I honestly believe that even Gore would have eventually been prodded into war. al-Qaeda wouldn’t have relented, and would have continued to terrorize with increasing deadly force. Instead of the WTC attack, it may have taken a nuke to wake him up, but he would have-- and too late for possibly millions. We may or may not ever know what horrors Bush averted by acting quickly and decisively, but this conflict was going to occur regardless of the man in the office.

JOHN