 Off-Topic / Debate / 23773
Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:46:28 GMT

   Here’s an analogy--there are those who notice that the emperor has no clothes and think to themselves, “Well, that emperor is pretty dense to be walking around without any clothes--look at how much better I am realizing that I have clothes and this ‘more powerful person than me’ has none!” and there are those that, in a private aside, whisper to the guy, “Psst, hey buddy, you may not have noticed, but you have no clothes on--perhaps you should think about doing something about that.”

On the one hand, the first is arrogance, ‘holier than thou’, and just all around pompous. The second one is a friend telling another friend, “Hey, your fly’s down.”

The problem is not the analogy, but your misconception that you are the second guy in that example.

   If someone was perpetually screaming “You’ve got it wrong!”, I’d say, “Hey Chicken Little! The sky ain’t falling” I think I tempered my comments with the idea that I like much of what America does. If you didn’t pick up on that point, eh... ;)

So....you think I’m wrong? ;-)

But you’re not wrong all the time--that’s the good bit :) As usual, what we have here is a failure to communicate :)

No, I’m just teasing you...well, and illustrating your constant fault-finding.

.

“Oh, we have both kinds of chips on our shoulders here in Canada: arrogance and self-righteousness.” Someone missed the joke.... :-)

Well, I wouldn’t attribute that to all Canadians, just the ones who post regularly in o-t.d. Oh wait, that’s just me... (hangs head down, kinda shuffles foot over ground, acting all sheepish-like)

And I really didn’t mean that to apply to all Canadians, either, but you have a tendency to fly off the handle and start frothing at the mouth about America and Americans (Don’t get me started about “Yankees” again during baseball season) and basing the entire analogy on something John wrote (hardly an example of the entirety of America). I was kinda painting with the same brush to illustrate the point.

   Hence the ‘Sometimes, to be sure, there’s cacophany’.

Translated: “There is harmony...except when there isn’t.”

Translated: harmony is better than monotony, even taking into consideration that sometimes there may be cacophany mixed in with the harmony--or did you miss that allusion to the Borg--“Resistance is futile”

Didn’t miss it - it was just plain wrong and I already addressed that inaccuracy.

At the very least, if everyone did things as Americans do, where would Hockey be? And your beer--Ugh!

We just ship the crap to you (admittedly, lots of Americans drink the same crap, but lots of Americans voted for Bush - I think there is a connection).

The good stuff is micro-brewed and we keep that here.

Hockey: the less said the better.

Dang, the Wachowski Brothers will probably include that line in The Matrix Regurgitated.

part 4? I’m buying my ticket now.

Really? I enjoyed the first two, but the third was an obvious attempt to not resolve anything so that they could make a part 4. Can’t delete the digital cash cow.

Toronto, as far as I know, has the most diverse ethnic population in the world. I don’t need an entire half of a state, I just need to drive to one city to find it.

Los Angeles county is what I was refering to which isn’t even a 10th of the state. If I restrict that to Los Angeles city, I think it is around 100 different spoken languages. Whether or not Toronto is just as multi-cultural, less, or more, really isn’t the point. It isn’t a contest, it was simply an illustration that your original assertation was simply wrong. Mentioning Toronto is neither here nor there.

further--

No.....official.....languages....

Talk all you want about what ethnicity and differing languages that the people speak--I’m sure Canada could match you (or at least come close) and with 1/10th the population to boot, but how many officially recognized (i.e. written in law’) languages do you have?

Answered above.

Can you call up your gov’t agency and demand to
   speak with them in anything other than english? It’s the law here in Canada.

Most government agencies have provisions for a number of languages - it depends on the area. I know I can get services provided in Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Vietnamese, Korean - I’m sure there are others.

   Not that this is a pissing contest or a denegerating thread into “Us (insert country here) and Them (insert other country here)” ;)

Ummmm, you turned it into that before I bothered to reply. That’s what I’m trying to get you to realize - but even when I use plain language you persist. Oh well....

-->Bruce<--