 Off-Topic / Debate / 23768
Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:26:07 GMT

   I will definitely agree that Canada is as dependant on ff as most. However, we are working on lessening the environmental impact, vis a vis Kyoto and other such incentives. We don’t have it ‘right’ yet, nor will we ever possibly attain ‘right’.

Just enough to be holier than thou, I take it? :-)

   If someone was perpetually screaming “You’ve got it wrong!”, I’d say, “Hey Chicken Little! The sky ain’t falling” I think I tempered my comments with the idea that I like much of what America does. If you didn’t pick up on that point, eh... ;)

So....you think I’m wrong? ;-)

It’s like that quotation from ‘Blues Brothers”--“Oh we have both kinds of music--country *and* western” as if there are no other kinds of music.

Someone missed the joke... (dang, I finally have to skip the smiley)

I got the joke--I was referring to the actual character’s blind arrogance--she thinks there are only two types of music and didn’t have the ability to see outside her own little world to realize there might be other types.

“Oh, we have both kinds of chips on our shoulders here in Canada: arrogance and self-righteousness.” Someone missed the joke.... :-)

The greater
   joke is that the character will probably never realize that there are other types of music beyond ‘country *and* western’ unless someone points it out to her. The ‘ensconsed in my own little world’ mind trap is something we should work towards eliminating. These fracteous times call for a greater understanding of the world and events happening around us, not a narrower worldview--“We got it right!” kinda narrows the view down to ‘Us and Them’, in which the “Us” are right” and if them ain’t with “Us”, then “them”’s invariably against “Us” and therefore, “Them”’s all wrong, as pointed out with the US policy with the war in Iraq. The greater joke here is that “Us” (or U.S., which also works on a different level) is that all the “right” reasons for the war turned out to be completely false. Now democracy isn’t even trying to be attained, but ‘US friendly Iraqis’ are being appointed for the turnover.

Well, heck, otherwise those wacky Iraqis might democratically elect religious fanatics! The kind that will want to say prayers in schools, but not Protestant ones. The nerve!

   An ironic choice of words: If there is cacophony, by definition there isn’t harmony. And clearly you haven’t been to southern california which speaks something like 140 different languages. I’ll see your multi-culturalism and raise it by 100. :-)

Hence the ‘Sometimes, to be sure, there’s cacophany’.

Translated: “There is harmony...except when there isn’t.”

Dang, the Wachowski Brothers will probably include that line in The Matrix Regurgitated.

   Spell it out real slow-like--If there is diversity and harmony in society, there may be times when there may be cacophany. Work thru it.

One.....hundred.....forty....languages.....-..... didn’t......you.....understand......that.....perhaps.....your......lecture.....was.....way......off-base?...

Oh......wait.....that’s......why......you.......cut.......that....part.....out....so.....you......could.......still......pretend......to.....the.....moral.....high......ground.....and......be........condescending.

Slow enough for you this time, eh?

-->Bruce<--