 Off-Topic / Debate / 23770
Re: interest rates & "Economic Health"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:23:10 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/03/politics/main610148.shtml

Hardly a rosy picture!

Please indicate for me a time when the picture was rosy so that I may compare.

That is easy, the USA has a boom-bust economy. How about before Bush came to power?

(snip)

   It signifies that prices are low so stuff is cheap, and getting money is cheap as well.

No, it signifies there is zero demand.

Don’t be so intelligent. I am a consumer. Prices are low. I don’t need to know about theoretical economic BS that nobody is sure about anyway.

Spoken like a true “small businessman”.

I am a small business owner, and for me, this is the best economy I have experienced since I started paying taxes some 30 years ago.

If real interest rates are the lowest for 30 years, what is the incentive for me to invest in your economy?

Borrow money and start a business or buy property!

The US$ is weak for a reason.

Don’t be so intelligent. Refinance your home for 4.5% interest. That saves millions of Americans millions.

For those who still have jobs and can afford a home perhaps...

As an aside, is the interest on your “home loan” fixed over the repayment period?

   The dirty little secret is that no one really knows the reasons for everything. I do know that I save $100s in interest payments every month with my new loan.

   It has been a lot worse, and yet it is improving. I know this because the shrill Democrats aren’t harping on about the economy lately;-)

The one thing that sucks is the price of gas, but since we invaded Iraq for their oil, I’m sure that that will be coming down any day now.

Perhaps Iraq will join OPEC once it shakes off Bush?

How could they do that if we are taking their oil?

   The price of gas should be much higher: it is a finite resource which causes gross environmental damage.

No. As it is now it is virtually infinite.

Production will peak in 5-10 years time.

You don’t know what you are talking about. And neither does your source.

OK, tell me where this is wrong.

   By the time the resource is exhausted, technology will have provided us with an alternative-- an alternative that was discovered by the free flow of oil to the industry and economy of the US.

Will this “alternative” bring back the ice caps?

You make me think about all of the wonderful quotations of naysayers over the years about technology.

You made me think of this quote: “Current oil prices are artificially low, too low to spur private investment in technologies that appear to have only a long-term payback. The price of oil, even at prevailing (temporarily high) prices, fails to reflect many of the social costs of producing and burning it.”

   I dislike the attitudes of pessimists-- their negativity stands in the way of innovators and progress.

...and without being realistic we can not plan for thr future.

Scott A

JOHN