 Off-Topic / Debate / 23778
Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:03:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Well, heck, those wacky Iraqis might vote for Islamic extremists - an
eventuality that the Guy {Not} Elected by "Yankees" did not even consider.

I think it is a bit offensive and even racist to believe that any human
being wouldn't want to be free if truly given the chance.

Must be tiring to spend so much time being offended.

I didn't say I took personal offense to it.

<chuckle>

That's cute.

Its offensive but you're not personally offended?  What are you, publicly
offended? Its offensive to others, but more enlightened folks such as yourself
are not offended?

<chuckle some more>

Really.

Nevertheless, unthinkable as it may be, there are those that value among
their freedom oriented aspirations to be 'free of American influence'.

What an odd thing to say.  What is "free of American influence"?  Nothing.
Are you claiming that there are those in this world that want to eschew all
the influence of the US?

There are some parts of American culture that not all the world wants to sign up
for, and there is a recognition (or at the very least a theory) that these
undesirable influences are the direct consequences of things that are otherwise
benefits (like say, western investment or western business practices).

Not everyone is a fan of globalisation, even in your country.

Think what that would mean. lol I have been to the deserts of the Middle
East and seen Beduoin tents with their satellite dishes protruding from
them-- I highly doubt that anyone {really} wants to be free
from American influence (maybe in a misguided, inconsistent way).

You know, I have a suspicion that you aren't joking.

But please enlighten me who these people are of which you speak.

So highly in fact, that they would be prepared to give up other freedoms or
benefits to attain it.

Those plucky New Zealanders gave up economic and defence benefits to
keep US nuclear powered and armed vessels out of their ports.

There is an exception to every rule, and their situation geographically is
exceptional.

What?  Their 'exceptional' deep south Pacific 'geography' makes them resist
Americanisation?  That's probably the second dumbest thing I have heard today.
Sometimes I wonder if there's not a screw loose in there.

It is always a mistake to believe that everyone thinks like you.  Its a
tragic mistake to assume that they *ought* to think like you.

Wrong.  In this case WRT to the concepts of Freedom and Democracy, the world
{ought} to think like we do.  We got it right.

Ouch.

There really is no room to manoeuvre on this one.  You shouldn't be allowed to
be in charge of anything.  I don't think I'd give you the remote for the telly!

Sorry to upset your PC sensibilities.

No dangers there, don't have any.

What I do have is a low tolerance for faulty systems, and an enthusiasm for
systems that work (over longer timeframes than between now and your next tank of
cheap gasoline).

And as I saw you complain elsewhere:

But it is my choice to limit myself....

Why would you not grant the Iraqis the same choice to limit themselves in
the way they choose?

Are you saying that Saddam was the people's choice?  Are you suggesting that
they freely accepted his rule??  Please!

Of course not.  This thread was talking about the Iraqis electing religious
extremists.

Its ironic that you complain about extremism in others, yet leap to extreme
perceptions with the slightest provocation, and sometimes without any
provocation at all.

There's nothing particularly freedom loving about requiring
people to behave like the Jeep driving American public.

Whoa, I never said anything about our {behavior}!  Our culture is going to
hell in a Hearse, but that is another debate entirely!

...and everyone else ought to think like you (which dictates behave like you),
and have their culture go to hell in a hearse like you.

Where is your vaunted moral high ground in taking the world to hell with you?

I think that this is the point at which I earnestly concede the field to John.

(and await his imminent passage to the infernal regions - at the current rate,
it might not be too long to wait...)

Richard
Still baldly going...