 Off-Topic / Debate / 23802
23801  |  23803
Subject:
Blank checks drawn upon the US
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:46:16 GMT

   I would say that, if we are able to provide assistance, then we have an obligation to assist those who ask for it

Why? Who placed this obligation on us and what was gained in exchange?

   or (if they are unable to ask for it) those who do not refuse our assistance.

Why?

   Additionally, we should respect their assessment of the help they need, rather than forcing them to accept our estimation of that need.

Why? What if they are convinced that blue mud is the cure for AIDS (c.f. South Africa right about now) when we know for sure it isn’t?

   Further, our offer of assistance should not be contingent upon the recipient’s acceptance of terms antithetical to the recipient’s values or culture.

Why? Why should we help those who embrace values that require our destruction, for example.

   Finally, we must not use assistance to gain leverage to force the recipient to undertake action in conflict with its own values.

Why not? Why would we not act in our own enlightened self interest?

++Lar