 Off-Topic / Debate / 23796
Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:36:36 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   I wasn’t really addressing your claim of whether we have it right or not. We do have some things right (democracy, freedom of the press, separation of church and state, freedom to move, freedom to leave) most of the time, and there are some things we don’t have right (Guantanomo Bay holding pens, Florida election procedures, motives for invading Iraq) and some things that are a constant balancing act. But exporting even the right things is a tricky proposition regardless - that’s where arrogance enters into it.

The examples of the things we have right are theories-- the examples of things we don’t are specifics in trying to apply those theories. Of course we aren’t perfect, but we have the perfect blueprint of government-- namely Freedom and Democracy.

Getting back to “we’ve got it right”-- let’s not forget about what I asserted that we got right-- namely, the embracing of Freedom and Democracy. Yes, it is good and right to embrace those ideals, and all nations should do the same. It was not an exclusionary statement at all-- there are many countries that have “gotten it right” by embracing those ideals. I was not claiming superiority over all countries, merely over those that have not chosen to adhere to those ideals. Last time I checked, Canada embraced those ideals as well. So what exactly is your problem?

Mine is that the people involved (Iraq) may well not want that. You really can’t drag them to that kicking and screaming if they don’t want it. If 75% want religious fanatics, that’s what they are going to get.

You are advocating the tyranny of the majority. Would you advocate that here in this country? Regardless, the majority of Iraqis want the US to assist them to set up a free Iraq. The terrorists are a vast (criminal) minority and should be hunted down and exterminated.

JOHN