 Off-Topic / Debate / 23749
Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:21:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   Well, heck, those wacky Iraqis might vote for Islamic extremists - an eventuality that the Guy Not Elected by “Yankees” did not even consider.

I think it is a bit offensive and even racist to believe that any human being wouldn’t want to be free if truly given the chance.

Must be tiring to spend so much time being offended.

I didn’t say I took personal offense to it.

   Nevertheless, unthinkable as it may be, there are those that value among their freedom oriented aspirations to be ‘free of American influence’.

What an odd thing to say. What is “free of American influence”? Nothing. Are you claiming that there are those in this world that want to eschew all the influence of the US? Think what that would mean. lol I have been to the deserts of the Middle East and seen Beduoin tents with their satellite dishes protruding from them-- I highly doubt that anyone really wants to be free from American influence (maybe in a misguided, inconsistent way). But please enlighten me who these people are of which you speak.

   So highly in fact, that they would be prepared to give up other freedoms or benefits to attain it.

So... they would give up their other freedoms (which they may or may not even have) so that they could be free of the American influence of freedom. I don’t get it.

   Those plucky New Zealanders gave up economic and defence benefits to keep US nuclear powered and armed vessels out of their ports.

There is an exception to every rule, and their situation geographically is exceptional.

   It is always a mistake to believe that everyone thinks like you. Its a tragic mistake to assume that they *ought* to think like you.

Wrong. In this case WRT to the concepts of Freedom and Democracy, the world ought to think like we do. We got it right. Sorry to upset your PC sensibilities.

   And as I saw you complain elsewhere:

   But it is my choice to limit myself....

Why would you not grant the Iraqis the same choice to limit themselves in the way they choose?

Are you saying that Saddam was the people’s choice? Are you suggesting that they freely accepted his rule?? Please!

   There’s nothing particularly freedom loving about requiring people to behave like the Jeep driving American public.

Whoa, I never said anything about our behavior! Our culture is going to hell in a Hearse, but that is another debate entirely! But I find your jab at SUVs amusing!

   Hell no. I imagine it will go on flowing freely just as long as people look at the unbelievable state of American foreign policy, and ask themselves how they could possibly arrived here, how could their proud and worthy system of government turn out such an acrid and unworthy result.

What an unkind thing to say about the Germans, Japanese, among others!

JOHN