 Off-Topic / Debate / 23731
Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:01:27 GMT

   I think it is a bit offensive and even racist to believe that any human being wouldn’t want to be free if truly given the chance.

The dead in Iraq won’t be given that chance...

Do you seriously think Bush will giver power to anyone who upsets his little apple cart? Don’t be a fool, Bush wants Bases & Oil; not freedom for Iraq!

   He supports the will of the people who wrote our Constitution the way they
did-- you don’t seriously have a problem with that, do you?

Many do: Consider the explosion in media spending; consider the zillions you need to run for anything; consider the dependence on corporate power. Greenback elitism.... But real politics is the preserve of the few. And the few, like Marie Antoinette reaching for the ginger biscuits, are perennially edgy about their authority. Television and radio have given the president the added aura of supreme power. They have helped to free him from the web the founding fathers wove. He has a digital bully pulpit now. But he runs what Ivie calls a “rhetorical presidency” - full of “images, phantasms, tropes and insecurity”. That means “governance by crisis”.

Scott A