 Off-Topic / Debate / 23837
Re: Ahh infinity, how I love ye! Was Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:01:26 GMT

Spin the ball and point a laser at it.  In the real world, after one
revolution the laser would be traversing the same path, therefore no
infinity, and secondly, in the real world, after a finite number of spins,
either the ball bearing would have disintegrated due to entropy and as you
correctly pointed out the lasr would eventually break down.

I think I'm guilty of an imprecision here.  I meant that the path of the laser
is effectively infinite, not that it would traverse an endlessly new part of the
sphere's surface.

I'd rephrase again--the path is theoretically infinite, for if you set up this
exact scenario using real life lasers, ball-bearings nad spinning tools, within
a set amount of time something will break down--or the path of the laser, over
time, will eventually 'wear out' due to the excitability of moleules due to the
heat of the laser and start breaking away from the reast of the ball bearing,
efectively cutting the ball bearing in half.  Either way, my best guess that in
a real world situation, a setup like that, even with the best of materials,
wouldn't last 500 years, rendering the path of the laser on the ball bearing
finite.  Though that's my best guestimate right off the top of my head.

Also, as long as we're talking about two dimensions instead of three, we might
as well talk about two dimensions instead of four.  To that end, we can remove
the end of time as a limiting factor, leaving only the question of the
two-dimensional surface (which you can trace with the laser infinitely without
running out of surface).

In theory, you can eliminate all the obstacles you want.  In hypotheticals, you
can dispense with the trivial things such as molecular cohesion and the adverse
effects heat has with that.  But we're not talking hypotheticals, or
'effectively'--effectively my V8 should run for the pistons, in theory, should
go up and down in their shaft forever.  However, that doesn't happen due to
friction,  and the inherent design flaws of Dodge Dakotas...

See, that's the differenc between theory and real world concepts.  We can
discuss infinity and come up with ideas and equations only 'on paper'  The
second you try to make a construct in the real world showing 'infinity', you
will fail for we live in a finite world.  You can show concepts of infinity--"if
we could eliminate entropy and the fact that our universe had a beginning, then
this laser reflected off a spining ball-bearing would physically show us
something infinite."

But the objections you're raising don't address the surface of the sphere.
Granted, the universe will probably end before an infinite length of time has
passed, but we're not asking about that.  The question is: where is the finite
end, in two dimensions, of the sphere's surface?

And I'm saying that there is no infinite dimensions on any surface 'in the real
world'.  In the hypothetical 'two dimensional surface of the sphere world' you
can go around an infinite amount of times.  In the real world, you cannot.
That's all I'm saying.

You understand, though, that the paradox of Zeno's Arrow was eliminated by the
mathematical concept of "sums of infinite series?"  Additionally, it is now
becoming apparent that space is not infinitely divisible, so the formulation of
one-half-of-one-half-of-one-half-of-one-half... doesn't really hold water.

Thus a 'proof' showing that infinite cannot be concretely formed in a finite
world--only shown on paper in equations and theory.

Um, not really.  As an alternative, why don't you give me your theory explaining
how the ball reaches the tree, or whatever.  Is it magic?

Well, the ball has a specificc velocity given to it by the throwing arm.  This
ball has a force in a specific direction and will ocntinue to travel in that
direction until other forces act against it, such as gravity and such.  However,
when the mass of the ball comes in contact with the mass of the tree, the
directional velocity of the ball is absorbed by the tree, and the ball will no
loger travel in that direction.  Usually, at this time, gravity, which has been
acting on the ball thru its travels, will pull that ball to the ground.  There
are a whole bunch of equations like force, distance, speed, etc... but Physics
class was almost two decades ago and I can't remember at this time... and it's
parenthetical to the actual idea.  The idea is no magic.

I think there would be an infinite amount of mess, myself.  Thankfully this is a
theory and no one has to actually go in there and clean up the mess.

Of course, we'd have an infinite number of Presidents to select from that
room...

And yet you chose the best (worst) one!  how did that happen?

Still haven't picked up [Blind Watchmaker], but have heard many conceptual notions about it.  I
would not argue against evolution, now (may have in the past but that's neither
here nor there).

Yeah, evolution's not at all central to the current discussion, but Dawkins
offers some excellent discussion on the question of Very Large Numbers and
probability.  Worth reading eventually.

Very large numbers over a very large time-frame, if I were to suppose.

Hypothetical != real world.  (!= means 'not equals')  In the history of the
world, it is my contention that there never has been this 'homogenous piece of
wood' ever grown capable of being divided into smaller and smaller pieces thru
infinity.  At least, that's my contention.

Well, that's fine, but it doesn't address the main issue.  I can posit all kinds
of things that have never existed (like an honest NeoConservative!), but their
non-existence isn't proof (or a "disproof") of anything.

Dave!

Well, if you can find this piece of wood, I would concede the point.  Likewise,
I can say 'God exists' all I want but your claim of non-existence isn't proof,
or disproof, of that, either.

So if you claim that a piece of wood that can be divided an infinite number of
times could have existed in the real world (we can neither prove or disprove the
existence thereof), I can claim that God could exist as well.

Dave K