 Off-Topic / Debate / 23764
Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:33:50 GMT

snip

   Wrong. In this case WRT to the concepts of Freedom and Democracy, the world ought to think like we do. We got it right. Sorry to upset your PC sensibilities.

snip

   JOHN

There it is--the inherent arrogance in the American system. “We got it right!”

It’s not arrogance-- it’s pride. I am proud that my country embraces Freedom and Democracy. We didn’t invent those ideas-- we just embrace them.

   Yeah, low standards of education, addiction and seemingly perpetual addiction to fossil fuels and the ‘blind eye’ to the ramifications thereof...

Specious.

   Understand that I have much respect for my southern neighbours--America has many great attributes and wonderfulness.

Yeah, and there is much sick and wrong with our culture. There is nothing wrong with embracing Freedom and Democracy.

   But the flip-side is the inherent arrogance that I’ve personally seen--“we got it right (so why aren’t you doing what we do?)”

Can you provide a reason why some country should not embrace Freedom and Democracy?

   It’s like that quotation from ‘Blues Brothers”--“Oh we have both kinds of music--country *and* western” as if there are no other kinds of music.

Well, there’s thins thing called harmony. The ‘melting pot’ mentality produces monotony--“Prepare to be assimilated--Resistance is futile”, whereas the ‘multiculturalism’ mentality of some other countries offers diversity and harmony.

Ah, so you are implying that we should, in the interests of “multiculturalism” allow some governments to oppress and brutalize millions of their citizens, denying them freedom and the ability to choose their governmental leaders? This idea that assimilating the world into adopting Freedom and Democracy is somehow a Bad Idea® borders on evil IMO.

I think your problem is that you are having a hard time separating our culture from our ideals. I don’t want the world to look like America, only embrace her ideals.

JOHN