 Off-Topic / Debate / 23795
Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:20:13 GMT

   The choice is to accept God or not. I’m sure that dwelling with God is as wonderful as dwelling without God is miserable.

I figure that you and I both know that we’re getting off the initial point of the debate, so our audience may wish to tune out at this point!

On what basis are you sure of that? Faith? I’m afraid that’s simply insufficient for me (and in any case it would be a circular argument)

Yes. Do you claim to only believe in things that are provable? In the final analysis, what would you say about a devout scientist who believed in God? Is he/she compromised as a scientific thinker?

   Freedom of religion doesn’t mean “freedom from religion”.

As a matter of fact, I think it means *exactly* that. More specifically, it means “freedom from government endorsement of religion.” I recognize that my definition of “endorsement” differs from yours, but that’s another matter.

Yes, but I’m curious. There are so many Judeo-Christian references and images that permeate our federal governmental buildings-- how do you account for this? Do you assert that we are currently a Theocracy?

   But let me ask you: do we have an obligation to assist those under persecution? Can we all be free if there are those who aren’t? And for those who have been brainwashed to believe that freedom is evil, do we not have an obligation to enlighten them? Isn’t the Cause of Freedom that noble? Is that such a horrible cultural idea to export?

Not long ago I addressed this very point. Here’s the relevant bit:

   The notion that it (violence & bloodshed) somehow doesn’t affect us as a nation, or isn’t our business because it happens to someone else, is directly in conflict with any notion of world-wide peace I can envision. If a nation needs and asks for our assistance and we are able to give it, how can we morally refuse that nation? For that matter, if a nation needs our assistance but is unable to ask for it, how can we refuse that nation?

Here are a few possibilities I hadn’t considered at the time: What if the nation chooses not to accept our help?

Interesting, but I can’t imagine anyone refusing freedom (freely). Regarding Iraq, I believe it is an activist and extremist minority that wants the US out (fueled by al-Qaeda). We mustn’t let those terrorists dictate policy for the whole nation (because they don’t represent them).

   What if the nation asks for help that directly conflicts with our own values?

I assume you mean the core values of Freedom and Democracy? We don’t help, or we use our help as a carrot for change.

   What if our definition of “help” differs so sharply from that nation’s definition that our offer of “help” is more disruptive than helpful to that nation?

Assuming that the country in question is free and democratic, we would have to review very carefully the nature of our “help”.

   I would say that, if we are able to provide assistance, then we have an obligation to assist those who ask for it or (if they are unable to ask for it) those who do not refuse our assistance. Additionally, we should respect their assessment of the help they need, rather than forcing them to accept our estimation of that need. Further, our offer of assistance should not be contingent upon the recipient’s acceptance of terms antithetical to the recipient’s values or culture. Finally, we must not use assistance to gain leverage to force the recipient to undertake action in conflict with its own values.

However, because I am a creature of reason, rather than dogma, I reserve the right to modify this answer upon further reflection.

I disagree. Our country has a vested interest in promoting freedom in the world. I see no problem with using aid as a means to encourage the adoption of Freedom and Democracy. Unconditional humanitarian aid is the job of private organizations such as the UN, Red Cross, or other such institutions.

   Why, then, did Democrats resist his appointment? And please don’t pretend it’s because he’s Catholic.

Because they want their ideas and policies in place, not any one elses.

As opposed to Republicans, who embrace dissenting viewpoints with grace and aplomb?

I have no problem with the “they” in my statement referring to all politicians. It is the nature of the game. You get in power, you get to call the shots. Theoretically, your election reflects the will of your constituents.

   You and I have very different ideas as to what “establishing” a religion means. You have a very theoretical idea, and I have a very practical idea.

Explain what that means, please.

It was a theory of describing our differences in our understanding of the word as I tried to illustrate below.

   For instance, the phrase “under God”. You claim a voluntary phrase such as this “establishes religion” and means that our government has in effect established a religion. I believe the FF had a little more in mind when they crafted that phrase-- like the setting up of a state church as was the one in England. The FF envisioned a government that didn’t dictate what religion you followed, but not a government that eschewed the concept of God.

Underlying all of this, IMO, is the fact that the founders wanted no mingling of state and church, because such mingling would be damaging to both institutions and to the public as a whole. That’s why there can be no religious tests for office or citizenship.

Yes, no religious tests-- tell that to Democratic judicial nomination committees (but I digress;-) But there was religious minglings, especially in terms of artwork on buildings, etc.

   The Pledge of Allegiance is, by its nature, a pledge of fealty to the nation. The Congressional grafting a religious invocation to the official text of patriotic declaration is an unacceptable endorsement of religion.

I know that you disagree with this, and I reluctantly accept that the Supreme Court is likely to disagree with this, but in my view it is the correct decision.

If they do find against striking “under God”, it will be because of the lack of tangible evidence of religious endorsement by government IMO.

   I’m not sure as to the specifics of your allegations, so I assume you are just stating opinion again.

He has gutted the FOIA and has rendered off-limits the papers of Reagan and Bush Sr. with no more justification than “Because I said so.” That’s hardly the work of a man who embraces openness in Government. Even if a matter of national security is at stake, he should subject the materials to review before summarily declaring them forbidden from public view. They are, after all, public documents of public employees.

It’s a catch-22. We’d need to know what’s in them to decide; it’s a matter of trusting his judgment; you don’t, I do; been there, done that.

I’m curious--on what basis do you trust him, exactly? He equivocates and dissembles in every single one of his speeches; he is secretive in his policies; he is deceptive in the naming of his initiatives; he withholds vital information from budgetary, legislative, and health policies; and he is either deliberately false or patently incompetent in his preparation and drive leading to the invasion of Iraq.

If I knew someone in private life who was so thoroughly deceptive, I wouldn’t trust him enough to let him borrow my pen, much less to run my country. If I were interviewing him for a job, I certainly wouldn’t trust him enough to hire him. Consider last week’s press conference, for example, in which he answered not a single question asked of him!

Honestly, I expect that you’ll declare these objections to be “my opinion” or to be based on my much-affirmed hatred of Bush, but that’s not the case, and it doesn’t address the problem.

I think the problem lies in the office itself. There is so much going on behind the scenes that intelligent and informed conclusions just cannot be adequately drawn-- especially since most of that information is being provided by biased media (given to them by biased a biased White House).

   I find a lot of religious radio programming to be offensive, divisive, and damaging to society--should it be banned because I say so?

Do you find it obscene or profane?

I reserve the right to reshape my answer, once I’ve been given a solid definition of “obscene or profane.”

Don’t hold your breath;-) And that is not meant as a slam on anyone-- how can those terms ever be finally defined? They are based on temporal, cultural attitudes.

   In the meantime, I would definitely state that the intolerance, homophobia, and desire to recreate the US Government as a theocracy are obscene, bordering in many cases on “hate speech.”

But you wouldn’t advocate the censorship of them I take it. But the examples you gave are ideas; what about the simple, gratuitous vulgar use of language, a la RM’s thoughtful tirade?

   However, I don’t assert that all religious programming is likewise hateful, in the same way that not all morning radio commentators are Howard Stern.

Curious. Did you have any problems with Stern over public airwaves? Oh, just thought of something else I’d appreciate your opinion on-- what did you make of Kerry’s use of vulgarity in print interviews?

JOHN