 Off-Topic / Debate / 23827
Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:16:01 GMT

Infinity may exist.

Infinity *does* exist, and it's in lots of places all around us.  Find the
terminus (in two dimensions) of the surface of a sphere, for one example.  The
duplicity of Dubya, for another (I hope that this one is merely a jest, though
I'm not yet certain).

Finite minds can grasp theories and ideas regarding infinite, but cannot
encompass what infinite really is due to the very nature of finite minds

Maybe it would be useful (for you and me both!) to agree upon what it means to
"comprehend the infinite."  I don't want to get bogged down in epistemology, but
we should establish ground rules for what qualifies as "comprehension" in this
context.

If finite minds cannot encompass infinite, infinite cannot exist?

That's the way I've always read the inherent reductionism in people arguing
against the existance of God.

That's one way to read it, but here are a few others:

1. Given that we have finite minds, it is impossible to draw any real
conclusions regarding the "goodness" or "evil" of an infinite entity.

2. Assuming that God gave us these finite minds and has required us to make
decisions about the nature of the infinite, any errors we make in our decisions
are entirely due to the limited tools that God gave us.  Therefore, since he
both created the test and restricted our ability to perform the test, we cannot
be held responsible for our limitations (that would be like withering a tree
because it wasn't bearing fruit at the time when God decided it shouldn't be
bearing fruit, right?)

3. Any god worth calling "good" could not allow someone to suffer infinite and
eternal damnation for committing anything less than an infinitely evil act.

I can give you a host of others, but this should get us started.

  Dave!