 Off-Topic / Debate / 28662
Re: Ahh infinity, how I love ye! Was Re: George Bush has legitimised terrorism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2008 23:39:41 GMT

So here's my current thought.  A cloud of gas has a center of gravity (the "net"
center) even if none of the gas occupies that point (think of the air in an
innertube, for example).  The center of gravity is real and has real effects
upon the real world, in terms of interaction.  So even though the sphere is only
*described* by the ball bearing, I'm not sure that it can be said not to exist
in *real* terms.

Curious.  I'll need to think about this more.

Okay, I've thought about it more.  And I've decided that my example is 100%
faulty.  Even if such a theoretical perfect sphere could be said to exist in the
real universe, there'd be no way for us to verify it, because we'd have no way
to verify that our reference point for determining its perfection is itself
valid (or objective).

So naturally I won't go so far as to say that Dave K was right (!), but I am
willing to admit that I was wrong, at least...

Dave!