 Off-Topic / Debate / 23748
23747  |  23749
Subject:
disturbing ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 16:09:55 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   Again?

That would require that we voted for him the first time.

As an aside, I loved this quote about your alleged president:

For years it has been my belief that the ideal US president for Middle East peace would be one who had the ethics of a Carter,

Ever done any reading on Carter’s cronies?

   the popularity of a Reagan and the strategic audacity of a Nixon. Alas, we have a president who has the ethics of a Nixon, the popularity of a Carter and the intellectual agility of a Reagan.

Making light of a man battling Alzheimer’s Disease? Too off-color for me.

St Ronnie was not the sharpest stick in the pile when elected!

It also has a couple of other good quotes.

(snip)

   He forgot to mention was that Gaza, with its 1.3 million inhabitants, is only about 1% of historic Palestine.

What the heck is “historic Palestine”?

Do you reject the Balfour declaration which sought the “establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people”?

   This leads me to think about some disturbing ideas I have heard lately about Israel and the Palestinians,

I’ve heard disturbing ideas from both both sides of this argument...

   and I’m wondering how ubiquitious they are among the Left, so let me ask you Scott: yes or no-- do you actually recognize the legitimacy of the State of Israel to exist?

Yes; I have said so many times. I also recognise its right to self-defence.

Do you recognise the West Bank as land which does not belong to Israel under international law?

Scott A

JOHN