 Off-Topic / Debate / 23725
23724  |  23726
Subject:
Bush-Sharon love fest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:11:59 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   there’s no reason that the people of the world-at-large should have to endure him for another four years.

I agree. His belief that “terrorism” can be stopped by attacking the symptoms whilst stoking the cause is very dangerous… and mind-boggling.

What specifically do you propose Israel do to end Palestinian terror? What specific options are available?

Perhaps they could start by ending Israeli terror?

So you are suggesting that if Israel stopped any and all violence against the Palestinians, that specific action would then stop Palestinian terror? Naive and wrong.

NO!, I said it would be a start. Israel is perfectly entitled to defend itself... nothing more! Read this:

“The Israeli occupation army and paramilitary Jewish settlers have killed 545 Palestinian children and minors since the outbreak of the al-Aqsa Intifada in September 2000... The total number of Palestinians killed by Israel during the current Intifada is around 2700, the vast majority of them civilians.”

How many of those deaths were in self defense? How many were murders? How many prosecutions have there been?

   Then they could return to the ‘67 borders and compensate refugees.

Those borders were pretty much proposed already and were rejected.

The Palestinians have never been offered all the land within the ‘67 borders as the basis of a peace deal... they have only ever been offered the bits Israel does not want.

   As an aside, would you favor the compensation of Israeli families whose loved ones were killed as the result of Palestinian homicide bombers?

I assume you mean suicide bombers? Anyone who commits murder belongs in jail... compensation is a secondary issue.

Why did the suicide bombing start? Who started targeting civilians?

   Despite what the Old Testament says, the West Bank does not belong to Israel.

  • I don’t recall the OT mentioning the “West Bank”.

Either do I ;)

Do you feel the OT is justification for their “land grab”?

  • The “West Bank” refers to Jordanian territory.

...who have allocated it to the Palestinians.

  • And if the OT did say the West Bank belonged to Israel, why do you necessaarily discount that out of hand?

I do not reject the OT “out of hand”, I reject the notion that it gives Israel the right to murder and thieve! Perhaps when the Native Americans get their land back, we can move on to older land ownership issues?

BTW: What is the biblical explanation for the loss of the OT land of Israel?

   Although it would be an injustice to the Palestinians, I expect most Palestinians and Israeli’s would accept a return to the ’67 borders in return for peace… it is the extremists (5%) on both sides who are the problem.

Oh really, Scott? So you are saying that a minority of Palestinians are the problem?

NO! I’m saying a minority of Palestinians & Israelis are the problem!

   Well no duh, Einstein! And now you see the problem: even if Israel does whatever you suggest, there will still be Palestinian terrorists who will not stop terrorizing until Israel is no more! Don’t you get it? That’s it right there! That is my whole point! Israel is damned if she does and damned if she doesn’t.

Yawn: even Hamas quietly admits it is willing to settle for a return to the ’67 borders... but I don’t expect you (nor Sharon) want to hear that!

What about the Israeli extremists? Would they give up their settlements without a fight even if peace were guaranteed 100%? Remember Sinai; you know the answer is no.

   So why should she?

Why should Israel keep the West Bank? Why should they keep oppressing the Palestinians? Why keep feeding the fire?

   Call me naive,

I’ll go one better-- you are naive and bigotted WRT this issue.

How do you conclude I’m “bigoted”? Big-toed perhaps! Like others have done, you are engaging in personal attacks rather admit you are wrong.

   It is about doing what is right. (You need to read this book, it will help you understand what is right!)

All of this “what is right” talk makes you sound like a conservative;-)

I am a conservative in the small-c British sense. ;)

Well, I read the review on Amazon about the book. Without getting into it, I can say that if the book is as factually incorrect as this review, it is pointless to bother reading it.

Just keep swallowing the bile that conservative talk radio feeds you.

What is interesting about yesterday’s Bush-Sharon love fest is that nobody appears to be saying this will lead to peace.

Scott A

JOHN