 General / 20036
Re: What age does buying lego become embarrassing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:29:10 GMT

In lugnet.general, Erin Windross writes:
Well, I'm in my teen years. Voice has gone down, growth spurts, acne (luckily
I have been spared from that), the usual change. But then there is one thing
that has REALLY changed. Buying Lego.

I now find it very embarrassing to go to TRU and shop with my mom. It is as if
everybody is staring at me, and a couple of times I have heard and seen the
cashiers make rude, sarcastic comments and giving me weird looks. This has
turned me off, and now I need some help. What should I do? I have tried to
just ignore it, but the humiliation feeling keeps nagging me. Has anyone else
had this problem?

I did.  I can clearly remember buying a pair of Lego sets (it was two Castle
minifig packs, with three Black Falcons and three Crusaders [?]) when I was in
Junior High and telling the cashier they were a present for a nephew.

I don't have a nephew.  Or even a brother or sister to have a child that would
be my nephew.

By the time my dark ages ended, I was in a group of friends that was unlikely
to ridicule me for liking a "kids' toy", so I felt perfectly comfortable buying
them.  I never went through a phase where being uncomfortable kept me from
buying; I did, however, just kinda move on to other stuff.  I just happened to
drift back in college. :D

I can tell you this:  Your discomfort will pass.  You're entering a time when
everyone feels uncomfortable with just about everything about themselves.  In
time, you'll realise that anyone worth knowing won't think less of you for your
hobby.

eric