 General / 20018
Re: What age does buying lego become embarrassing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:07:36 GMT

Part of growing up is learning how to march to the beat of your own drum.
If you realize that there is actually noting at all wrong with you
purchasing LEGO (with or without your mom), you should have no problem.
If you find yourself worrying about what other people think of your purchases,
remind yourself that it's your life you are making decisions about, not theirs.

Most cashiers could car less who is buying what for what reason.  Try it
yourself sometime.  It's monotonous work and the only way to survive it
is to frequently have your mind somewhere else.

At the end of the day, they will go home and not be the least bit concerned
about wethere you bought those sets or not.  You on the other hand
will have very different experiences based on your decision.

If that's not enough, think about all the st00pid purchases that adults make
(like an oversize SUV as a commuter vehicle).  I doubt anyone (besides your
parents of course) has any ground to stand on when it comes to 'dissing'
your purchase of LEGO.

KL

In lugnet.general, Erin Windross writes:
Well, I'm in my teen years. Voice has gone down, growth spurts, acne (luckily
I have been spared from that), the usual change. But then there is one thing
that has REALLY changed. Buying Lego.

I now find it very embarrassing to go to TRU and shop with my mom. It is as if
everybody is staring at me, and a couple of times I have heard and seen the
cashiers make rude, sarcastic comments and giving me weird looks. This has
turned me off, and now I need some help. What should I do? I have tried to
just ignore it, but the humiliation feeling keeps nagging me. Has anyone else
had this problem?

Erin