 General / 19952
Re: What age does buying lego become embarrassing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:15:30 GMT

I went through that when I was in my later teens.  I look back now and
don't understand why.  I vaguely recall that image seemed real important
back then, and the last thing I wanted was for some cute girl to see
me walking out of the toy store with a bunch of stuff.

At some point, probably about the time I was in my mid-twenties, I got
over it.  These days, I only occasionally notice when I'm getting
funny looks, and it never bothers me.  Maybe my ego is too large now.
;-)

Anyway, my advise: "Joke 'em, if they can't take a @#$@!"  Buy what you
want.  It's your money.  Have fun.  Enjoy your youth (when you have no
rent or car payments).  All the stress this is causing you will seem
silly in ten years. :-)

- Greg

Erin Windross wrote:

Well, I'm in my teen years. Voice has gone down, growth spurts, acne (luckily
I have been spared from that), the usual change. But then there is one thing
that has REALLY changed. Buying Lego.

I now find it very embarrassing to go to TRU and shop with my mom. It is as if
everybody is staring at me, and a couple of times I have heard and seen the
cashiers make rude, sarcastic comments and giving me weird looks. This has
turned me off, and now I need some help. What should I do? I have tried to
just ignore it, but the humiliation feeling keeps nagging me. Has anyone else
had this problem?

Erin

G. Crisp - gcrisp@mindspring.com

"Indian, indian, what did you die for?  Indian says 'Nothing at all.'"
-- Jim Morrison