 Off-Topic / Debate / 6074
Re: SUVs (was Re: What age does buying lego become embarrassing?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:35:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
My Land Rover has
ACE, Active Cornering Enhancement. The system keeps the vehicle entirely
stable, even on sharp, fast turns. BMW will also be using the system on the • X-
Series soon.

Is that system in any of the SUVs owned by the average person? I wonder what
such a system would do for a car? I'd be curious also as to how well those
systems really work, and what kind of maintenance nightmare they are.

Not at current. The system is only on the Land Rover Discovery II. It will
soon be offered on the X-Series and Land Rover Range Rover and Land Rover
Freelander V6. DaimlerChrysler uses a system called ESP, which helps keep the
M-Class stabilized, and it might work its way onto Jeeps. The ACE system is
expensive, $2900 (which includes 5 18" proline wheels and the system), but has
been trouble free on my Rover for over a year. It was devolped by BMW and Land
Rover jointly. Now that Ford, not BMW, owns Land Rover, it might find its way
into the Moutaineer or Explorer.