 Off-Topic / Debate / 6069
Re: What age does buying lego become embarrassing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 02:35:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Thompson writes:
I suspect that if we all were paying the true costs of driving SUVs we • wouldn't
be driving quite as many of them. Getting from our system to one in which • true
costs are actually paid (don't confuse the notion of true costs with just
heavily taxing gasoline, that's not the right way to do it) is non-trivial,
though.

I'd like to hear more about the idea of true costs.  What would
be included in the true costs of automobile ownership?  The cost
of maintaining roads?  The cost of pollution?

Those and more. Cost of building the roads. True insurance costs (one thing
which seems a bit wrong to me is that when the other guy is at fault,
insurance covers the cost of the damage, but doesn't do anything to cover the
cost of the time lost by the "victim" etc [unless you sue, but it seems to me
like you shouldn't have to go to court for basic things like that when the
other guy is clearly at fault]). True cost of manufacture (I don't know if
there are any problems here, but with our current economic system, who knows
if some cost of manufacture is being hidden). For a few more examples.

Frank