 Off-Topic / Debate / 6086
Re: SUVs (was Re: What age does buying lego become embarrassing?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 16:24:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Herzberg writes:

Think again. Only about 55% of pick-up use it for hauling, and the number is
decreasing dramaticlly as vehicles such as the Chevrolet Avalanche (Suburban
with a pick-up bed) and Ford Explorer Sport Trac (Explorer with a pick-up
bed), and Ford SuperCrew (Expedition with a pick-up bed) reach the market. The
biggest of the big, however, is yet to arrive. DaimlerChrysler has plans for
the mother of all SUVs. Known as the Dodge Adventure, Mercedes-Benz MLGK, and
Jeep Grand Wagoneer, word is the truck, which will be powered by various
Mercedes-Benz diesel engines and Dodge V10 engines, will even have a built in
BBQ. The truck was originaly planned, then canceled. However, recently
DaimlerChrysler announced that they would stop van assembley at thier Canadian
plant and build a "new product", and word is that massive SUV is the new
product. The Mercedes version is unlikely to make it. In fact, sadly, Dodge is
giving the van market over to Mercedes-Benz. Production starts next January in
South Carolina of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. This is the first time Mercedes-
Benz will sell a van in the US.

Mark, will you STOP with these unattributed rumors/hearsay? While there is
talk of bringing the Sprinter to the US according to the trade rags, it's for
an entirely different market than the Caravan/Town and Country. The Sprinter
is a panel van that comes in a number of different wheelbases, door
configurations and heights, and is suitable for commercial use. At best, with
some major work, you can make it into a bus, but it is just not suitable (as
well as being much bigger) as a Caravan replacement.

What I've heard (as rumor only) is that Mercedes itself is going to use
Chrysler vehicles (reskinned not just rebadged) built in Graz to fill the
passenger minivan niche not currently filled in the Mercedes line up.

++Lar