 Off-Topic / Debate / 6067
Re: What age does buying lego become embarrassing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 02:10:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Thompson writes:
Well, I find the idea that people are buying them, in part, because
they are safer in collisions due to their mammoth size, to be

That is not true.  The idea that SUV's (btw, I don't consider
Suburbans to be SUV's because they were around and well designed
before yuppies destroyed^H^H^H discovered the class)
are safe is purely the result of marketing them that way.  Just look at what
insurance companies list as safe and unsafe vehicles.  The 1992 Crown Victoria
I had was probably the safest car on the planet.  It was on the "safe cars"
list for my insurance company, and I payed lower premiums because of
that.  I also got to put it to the test a couple times when people
hit it.  While a yuppie truck would probably have done ok on the 35mph+
rear end collision, I would probably be dead from the 60mph
side-swipe-into-the-jersey-wall wreck.  Yuppie trucks are not (at least
were not until very recently) built and *arent required* to meet the
high saftey standards that regular cars do.  The SUV "saftey" is an illusion
of the large shell size.  Cars have many carefully designed crumple zones
that help absorb energy during impact, and a very rigid frame protecting the
driver and passengers.

The Crown Vic drove away with body damage only in each case.  I'd hate to see
someone get side-swiped in an expedition at 60mph.

As for SUV's being st00pid as a commuter vehicle, well -- duh.  Just like
a Corvette would be a st00pid commuter vehicle.  I guess if they want to buy
one to conform to the masses when they go out to a resturaunt *every night*
that's fine.  Just don't drive it to work.

They scarry thing is I'm looking at houses in the mountains right now.  I might
*have* to buy one, and they don't even make the Suburban any more.  Yuck.

KL