 General / 19964
Re: What age does buying lego become embarrassing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 00:36:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, Erin Windross writes:
I now find it very embarrassing to go to TRU and shop with my mom. It is as if
everybody is staring at me, and a couple of times I have heard and seen the
cashiers make rude, sarcastic comments and giving me weird looks. This has
turned me off, and now I need some help. What should I do? I have tried to
just ignore it, but the humiliation feeling keeps nagging me. Has anyone else
had this problem?

I only got that look once - I was still in Hong Kong at about 14 years old.
From a Nestea promotion I "scratched" a 6825 and went to a store to trade it.
That lady gave me a funny look, may be because I was sweating...  Would have
been easier if I scratched a 6985. :p

It was the last set I got before my Lego dark age.  I stopped buying Lego not
because of that, but finally realize those things are so freaking expensive to
ask my parent to buy them, and I switch my interest to computer anyway.  I
missed out all the cool sets like the Blacktrons and 90-95 technic.

The excellent X-Wing set bring me back to Lego, but it was a little
embarrassing at first but buying a "Starwars" item helped.  Now I can run sets
through Walmart and Zeller price scanners without problems.  Come on it is not
that difference from buying PC or playstation games.

The Nestea Instant Milk I had in Hong Kong used to have great LEGO promotion.
I got these sets packed with the 2lb milk powder can: 6609, 6630, 6633, 6604,
6622, 6608 and 6629.  Just asked Mom, they were about HK$40 ~= US$5 per can.
That's almost 20 years ago though.  Browing through the 80's catalogue, man
those town sets were so much better than todays Town Jr.