 Off-Topic / Debate / 6056
Re: What age does buying lego become embarrassing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:34:27 GMT

Not disagreeing with you, just giving a different if not rambling point of
view...

Barbara and I drive a Chevy 3/4-ton, extended cab, short bed pickup; and a Ford
Escort -- with the commuting emphasis leaning towards the pickup.  Our commute
time to work is only about 20 minutes through a weird mix of freeway,
construction and city traffic, so our monthly gas bill averages about the same
between the Escort and the Chevy.  And even though the Escort is a compact car,
the Chevy has cleaner emissions.  (1)

And, based upon the sheer volume of stuff we've hauled with it, the pickup has
really paid off.  Ever tried moving a piano across town in an Escort?  (2)  Or
enough soil to make an appreciable dent in that garden out back?

And, living in a mountainous area, the Chevy is simply safer to drive.  I would
prefer sitting in the heaver, longer Chevy during a head-on collision with a
buck on a switchback road.  Or with another vehicle, anywhere, for that matter.

And, it makes dealing with the big rigs that much easier.  I'm now big enough
to give them pause when they consider cutting me off.

And, I can see around all the other big vehicles when I'm sitting in our
(Barbara's :-) Chevy.

It's no SUV, but I'd say our Chevy falls within the same size and MPG category.
Its safety and utility have convinved us to keep it.  And it's convinced us
that when we have a league of rug rats to tow across the country, it'll be in a
Suburban instead of a Caravan.

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Johann writes:
Driving in Los Angeles is complicated
enough without adding cumbersome, useless SUVs onto our freeways and city
streets. You can't see through them, or around them, and they tend to cut off
anything smaller than a school bus without any warning.

<DIGRESS>
OTOH, complaining about rude drivers, or driving in general, in LA is like
complaining about the burgers at McDonald's.  Go elsewhere.  The fact that you
put up with it indicates that it's isn't really an issue for you.
</DIGRESS>

To be fair, Barbara and I live in an environment that is significantly
different from LA.  Utah is mountainous and sparsely populated, with fewer
traffic snarls and more interstate commerce.  Traffic is probably a notch
ruder, but then so are the dirt roads.  You either need a pickup here or a
friend who owns one.  However, if I were to live in a larger city, I would much
prefer driving the Escort, as it's *MUCH* easier to park.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Is the lower MPG and emissions standards in truck-frame vehicles necessary?
I don't think so.  Technologically it's do-able.  The only real reason that
trucks aren't currently as clean as cars is due to cost and ancient legislation
-- which I believe is in the process of getting fixed.  Heck, I'd be willing to
pay a reasonable increase in price if Detroit would make a cleaner truck for
me.

2.  I had a car salesman try telling me he did it in a Colt Vista once...  :-P