 General / 20042
Re: What age does buying lego become embarrassing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:52:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, Erin Windross writes:
Well, I'm in my teen years. Voice has gone down, growth spurts, acne (luckily
I have been spared from that), the usual change. But then there is one thing
that has REALLY changed. Buying Lego.

I now find it very embarrassing to go to TRU and shop with my mom. It is as if
everybody is staring at me, and a couple of times I have heard and seen the
cashiers make rude, sarcastic comments and giving me weird looks. This has
turned me off, and now I need some help. What should I do? I have tried to
just ignore it, but the humiliation feeling keeps nagging me. Has anyone else
had this problem?

Erin
--

There's some excellent truths in the responses here and I'd like to throw in my
two bits.

I'm 28, for reference, and have only started buying Lego's en masse recently
(curses and blessings to Steve Jackson).  However, before Legos it was my
Superhero and Transformer collection, before that (when I was younger than you)
it was GI Joe.  I've never stopped buyiung at least one or two toys a month,
except when I didn't have the money to spare.  In High School, when I came out
of my shell and actually discovered there were other people in the world, I
went through the same thing.  I would rely on relatives to buy me toys or save
up for binges so I wouldn't have to make more than one trip to the toy store
more than once a month.

Eventually, though, I started to realize who I was and that collecting toys and
comics was an integral part of that.  As corny as it sounds, toys keep the
imagination working, Legos especially.  I would be hard pressed to find a more
ceative group than the people who frequent the pages of Lugnet.  This leads
into greater opportunities later in life.  Personally, I've started writing and
just last week got my first article published in Steve Jackson Games online
magazine "Pyramid".

Recently, I was in my local TRU Lego aisle and there was an older woman
worrying over some of the larger Ninja sets.  After a few moments I offered my
assistance.  She was certainly relieved.  Her nephew had asked for the "Big
Ninja Castle" which she had been told cost around $80.  Well, TRU was having a
sale on it so she was confused by the $50 price tag, as there was no reference
on the tag of the real price.  Well, I gave her a quick lesson on the
size/price ratios and she ended up deciding on not only getting the Flying
Ninja's Fortress, but the Emperor's Stronghold and Fire Ninja Fortress as they
were all on sale.  She thanked me, and the look on her face and the knowledge
that I helped get a new legophile more than he expected left me with the best
feeling, even though I didn't buy anything that day!  You never know when your
product knowlege can help someone else!

I hope these help, but the answer to your question is that it only becomes
embarrassing when  you let it, and stays that way as long as you want it to.

Sean