 Off-Topic / Debate / 6071
Re: SUVs (was Re: What age does buying lego become embarrassing?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:17:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Thompson writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Herzberg writes:
I see nothing wrong SUVs. People are just complaining because they are so • big,

vehicles get, the more risky it gets for the econo-boxes.

One thing I would be curious about is if there is a higher rate of fatality in
humongous SUV vs humongous SUV than between say two mid-size cars

I don't have any fatality rates, but I do know that if a small child is hit by
a truck, his chances of survival versus being hit by a car are almost three
times greater. I completely forgot the reason, it has to be with the truck
taking the whole body's force or something. It is the exact oppisite by and
adult, who is more likely to survive being hit by a car. I think it was 20/20
that had the story.

I'd also be curious as to how much affect the rollover affect has (though the
largest SUVs presumably have much less rollover factor than things like the
Samurai and Trooper which got so much press from Consumer Reports).

Well, Consumer Reports owed a huge apology to Isuzu Motor America (America
distributor), GM Canada Limited (Candaian distributer), Holden Australia (who
distributes the Trooper as the Holden Jackaroo; Holden is a GM subsidiary),
Isuzu Motor Limited (who manufactures the Trooper and sells it as the Bighorn
in Japan), General Motors Europe (who distributes the Trooper under the name
Opel Monterrey in Western Europe), Honda Motor Company Limited (who sells the
Trooper as the Horizon in Japan) and Honda Motor America (who distributed a
more luxurious version Trooper under the name SLX in the USA, though since
they have replaced it with the MDX, though they still sell Isuzu Rodeos as
Passports). While Japan, Australia, and Europe were not very effected, Isuzu
Trooper and Honda SLX sales hit rock bottom in the US, for no reason, because
Consumer Reports did later admit they were wrong and letter of apology was
published in USA Today and some other major newspapers. Luckily, Trooper sales
recovered, but Honda just couldn't get the SLX back to speed. Now a days,
trucks even have systems that help prevent tipping over. My Land Rover has
ACE, Active Cornering Enhancement. The system keeps the vehicle entirely
stable, even on sharp, fast turns. BMW will also be using the system on the X-
Series soon.

For many people, SUVs are just one expression
of this (and I don't begrudge at all the folks who have a pickup truck because
they regularly haul large loads for their home,

Think again. Only about 55% of pick-up use it for hauling, and the number is
decreasing dramaticlly as vehicles such as the Chevrolet Avalanche (Suburban
with a pick-up bed) and Ford Explorer Sport Trac (Explorer with a pick-up
bed), and Ford SuperCrew (Expedition with a pick-up bed) reach the market. The
biggest of the big, however, is yet to arrive. DaimlerChrysler has plans for
the mother of all SUVs. Known as the Dodge Adventure, Mercedes-Benz MLGK, and
Jeep Grand Wagoneer, word is the truck, which will be powered by various
Mercedes-Benz diesel engines and Dodge V10 engines, will even have a built in
BBQ. The truck was originaly planned, then canceled. However, recently
DaimlerChrysler announced that they would stop van assembley at thier Canadian
plant and build a "new product", and word is that massive SUV is the new
product. The Mercedes version is unlikely to make it. In fact, sadly, Dodge is
giving the van market over to Mercedes-Benz. Production starts next January in
South Carolina of the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter. This is the first time Mercedes-
Benz will sell a van in the US.

who actually take their SUVs off road [but laugh hysterically at all the SUVs
in the median after a snow], or the folks with several kids [or other reasons
to tranport lots of people] who have a large vehicle). I also have to plead to
having owned full sized vans for several years (and my father has always had a
van for my whole life, though the first few years it was just a VW minibus). I
actually find a van much more practical than a truck for most uses (except
hauling dirt etc and large furniture).

When looking at cars, I look at wagons, SUVs, and mini-vans. I actually like
the look of a van, but I just think they drive way to plain. At least a truck
drives, well, like a truck, and I like the trucky drive.

The carying capacity is generally far
more (especially number of people haulable vs gas mileage - I have taken 5-6
people for weekend trips). They may even be easier to park (people were
constantly amazed at the spots I could pull into - there's a real advantage of
being able to see most of your front bumper, and having the front wheels so
close to the front of the vehicle [heck, I bet you could get a VW minibus into
a tighter spot than most subcompacts - its front wheels are even closer to the
front than a Chevy van's]).
Frank

Speaking of Volkswagen vans, there are plans to bring it back. Volkswagen
currently sells the EuroVan in the US (Caravelle in Europe) in modest numbers,
but when the next EuroVan is introduced in 2002, plans call for a retro
version in addition to the regular EuroVan. A concept version of the "New Bus"
is due in Miami, Paris, or Detroit, whichever one it is ready for.