 Off-Topic / Debate / 6072
Re: Hello
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:20:17 GMT

In lugnet.people, Shiri Dori writes:
Teenagers still have peer pressure [...] <big snip>

Oh, this always makes me laugh! I have very quickly learned that peer pressure
does not exist. "Peer pressure" is the excuse used by people who are looking
for an easy way out of something. I'll use a stereotypical example: "If you
don't do whatever with me, I won't be your friend anymore!" How many times has
anyone ever said this to you? Don't get me wrong, people have said it to me
before, but I didn't do what they wanted and I still ended up being friends
with them. And more often than not, when I didn't do the "whatever," the other
person decided not to do "whatever" too, simply because they didn't want to
get in trouble alone. "Peer pressure" is also blamed when one person does get
in trouble alone. Like I said above, it is a bad excuse for one's actions.
Besides, I find that the people who use the "peer pressure" phenomenom are the
people that nobody really wants to hang around with anyway. In my case, they
would be all of the mega popular drunken athletes and their lackey drunken
cheerleader girlfriends that really aren't all that popular outside their
drunken friends, but they manage to look down on everyone anyway, but I won't
get into that in this post. I'll just say I prefer the middle stratum.
Greg Majewski