 General / 19947
Re: What age does buying lego become embarrassing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:03:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Erin Windross writes:
Well, I'm in my teen years. Voice has gone down, growth spurts, acne (luckily
I have been spared from that), the usual change. But then there is one thing
that has REALLY changed. Buying Lego.

I now find it very embarrassing to go to TRU and shop with my mom. It is as if
everybody is staring at me, and a couple of times I have heard and seen the
cashiers make rude, sarcastic comments and giving me weird looks. This has
turned me off, and now I need some help. What should I do? I have tried to
just ignore it, but the humiliation feeling keeps nagging me. Has anyone else
had this problem?

Erin
--

Ahhh, you are at That Awkward Age when it comes to toys.  It only truly goes
away when you either have children old enough for Lego, or you at least appear

I'm a big auto racing fan and I used to have a collection of Hot Wheels in my
office on display (next to the Lego).  One of the younger guys in his 20s asked
if I'd buy some for him - he felt embarrased going into a toy store.  Nothing I
could say would convince him to even go along with me to buy them.  So, I
understand what you are talking about.

My suggestions: get a shill to buy 'em for you (what are moms for?).  Get a
birthday card for a 7-9 year old boy along with it ("It's for my little
brother, cousin, nephew, etc.").  Try the Woody Allen method and buy lots of
sports equipment and hope they don't really notice the odd Lego thrown in (but
be prepared for the loudspeaker announcement of a price check on Lego for the
teenager on register 8 who still plays with toys).  Brazen it out and get Real
Rude back to the cashiers.  Loudly call for the manager.  Or explain that it is
for a school physics project - point out that engineers use Lego at NASA
centers to visualize spacecraft (this might not work with those Castles sets,
however).

Or just shrug it off: who are they to you?  If they were so clever why are they
working in a toy store?

Or you could be like me: oh, those are for your son?  Nope, they're for me - I
play games with them.

Bruce
Peter Pan Syndrome Personified