 General / 19974
Re: What age does buying lego become embarrassing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 03:47:09 GMT

Hey Erin,

Here's my $.02  I'm 25, so a bit older than you.  This may or may not apply,
but it's my feelings on the issue.  I guess I fall into the "should be
embarrassed" catagory, since I am probably too young lookign to have kids with
LEGOs, and too old to be buyign them for me, right?

I have bough them at several stores, notably Toys R Us, ACME, K-Bee Toys, the
LEGO outlet store, etc.

Look at it simply this way, and worry about it no more:

It's your money. Do what you want with it.

That sounds simple, but that's what makes our society so great.  If buying
LEGOs makes you happy, and you are putting up your hard earned cash for it,
damned if it makes an angstrom (that's small) of difference what others think.
It's your money.  You can buy a nice gun collection, or sterling silver
plates, or motorcycles, or LEGOs, or video games, or airline tickets to Aruba,
or cups of coffee, or anything else.  It's just money.  Plunk it down, feel
good about it.  Sometimes I put together the first set I buy in the car just
for fun.  At the LEGO outlet near me, I went to the food court and smiled at
all the hot girls as I opened and explored the different sets I bought.  Not
one of them didn't smile back or gave me a "weirdo" look.

Teenage year are definately a tough time, but if you are "playing" with LEGOs,
I am betting you are fairly bright.  Sometime after college, and hopefully when
you are still into LEGOs, you will pay for them in vast quantities with a VISA
Platnium Card, and you will go "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" in a sigh of consumerism and
satisfaction in being able to spend your money how you want, on a hobby you
really enjoy.

It's your money.  Please, spend it how you want, and think of how that cashier
that gives you the strange look is spending their money.  Probably on realyl
dumb stuff. :)

By the way, this is all theory, as I have NEVER been given a strange look by a
cashier.  Maybe I am being too optimistic, but they are there to perform a
service, and that is rign up my LEGOs.  As a side note, I disagree with anyone
who buys other things with LEGOs to hide the fact it is for them, or lies that
it is a gift.  Less money for LEGOs, I say.  It's a wonderful feeling to come
to grip with this and nto worry about it.

My $.02,

Jason

everybody is staring at me, and a couple of times I have heard and seen the
cashiers make rude, sarcastic comments and giving me weird looks. This has
turned me off, and now I need some help. What should I do? I have tried to
just ignore it, but the humiliation feeling keeps nagging me. Has anyone else
had this problem?

Erin