 General / 19965
RE: A Parental Perspective on Juniorisation and Being the Stronge st Brand
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 00:50:52 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Jamie Obrien [mailto:jamien@interworx.com.au]
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2000 10:17 AM
To: lugnet.dear-lego@lugnet.com; lugnet.general@lugnet.com;
lugnet.loc.au@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: A Parental Perspective on Juniorisation and Being the
Strongest Brand

Hi, i don't think it really matters too much these days, what
a child likes has
just as much to do with the parents upbringing than anything.
Boys and Dolls
are OK, just as is girls and trucks, it's the stigma attached
by others which
causes the hurt to the child.

Remember the sexist teaser catalogue released around 1 month ago? It made a
few claims about sets being for boys, and not children...Makes it hard for
them to sell these to girls, when they could probably read what was written
there [well, at least they'd know the difference between 'boy' and 'girl']

In lugnet.dear-lego, Kevin Wilson writes:
Mark Herzberg wrote:
Will, girls just don't play with dolls anymore. DUPLO, • PRIMO, Mickey Mouse,
and Town Jr. sets are all aimed at both girls and boys.
Belville and Scala
are
aimed at girls too, though they are sold in few retail • stores. LEGO is
supposed to be realsing a new "Paradisa II" line next year.

The main reason i went into my Dark Age, but even now the
kids and the checkout
girls (sorry, Staff) tend to give funny looks until we start
talking. Sometimes
though i have to fake it, especially if i have 20-30 of the
smaller impulse
sets!

It's never really bothered me. Maybe because I knew the people at the local
toyshop, but probably because I figured if the only thing people had to say
was something denegrating about me buying lego, it wsn't worth the effort of
replying.[Could also have been related to having my little brother with me
most times I bought lego...]. The only time I had any trouble was when I was
staying in student accomodation. Originally I left all my lego at home, but
after I found out that I wasn't the only person who used lego [shared
computer lab where everyone could see what everyone was looking at on the
web, and people asking about it] I moved some down...It's amazing the number
of people [not just boys] who are interested in it when they see some built.
[And if you're lucky, some have their old collections which you may be able
to buy off them :) ]

Unfortunately the consumers don't see it that way. I have • lost count of
the number of times I've been standing in the Lego aisle and • some parent
or child says "oh... lego... that's for boys" and passes on.

Specifically targeting one section will automatically exclude
another section,
and usually one of the parents is male, the other female, so
you annoy one you
loose the sale.

And the previously mentioned teaser catalogue wouldn't help, either.

just my .021c

Don't forget the GST...

Jamie
<Ice outside in Bundy, now there is something wrong with that!>

What...Should the ice be IN the Bundy :)

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)