 General / 20037
Re: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:36:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:

Well...The 64 game is just the fighting aspects, with none of the (admittedly
limited) RPG elements from the Game Boy version.  It does let you use your GB
pokemon in the 64 environment, which is cool, and offers a better GUI for
managing your GB Pokemon and inventory, as well as offering a GB emulator so
you can jump into the GB game while still on the 64.  Barbara and I use this
last feature quite a lot -- capture a few pokemon in the emulator, arrange our
Pokemon boxes on the 64, then go back into the emulator to capture some more.

One of the things that has kept me from buying Pokemon Stadium is that it seems
heavily geared towards people who own a Game Boy and the Pokemon game for GB-
the "rental" Pokemon in Stadium are always described as "inferior" to Pokemon
you capture and raise yourself.  I'm familiar enough with Nintendo's marketing
strategies to realise that it's not in their best interest to make it any
differently- after all, if I buy PS, and want better Pokemon, I might go out
and buy a GB.

But from what you're saying here, it sounds like you can play the GB game in an
emulator on the N64.  Is this true?  I could go out and buy just PS, and play
the GB game on the emulator (without buying a GB or the cart), capture Pokemon,
and battle in the Stadium?

If that *is* true, I might get PS.  It interests me, but I don't want to spent
close to $200 ($60 for PS, $100 for a GB, and ~$30 for the GB cart) to fully
utilise it.

eric