 Robotics / NXT / 419 (-100)
  RE: Improving the firmware?

David Wallace wrote on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 7:34 PM: (...) This is an opportunity for the open source community to improve the firmware. Enhanced firmware does not need to have any dependency on the LEGO or NI development teams. The challenge (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Improving the firmware?

Thanks Philippe. You definitely asked the questions that I was thinking about and I pretty well understood the answers except I was a little puzzled by the need for "follows" as well. However, we definitely lost functionality in this area with NXT. (...) (17 years ago, 24-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: What do these macros do?

(...) Is it possible to write in the display popup buffer? So that we can do double buffering? I made some quick tests, but it seems the drawing routines always write in the normal display buffer... Julien (17 years ago, 23-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Improving the firmware?

(...) I asked about the same questions some time ago, here is John's answer: (URL) (17 years ago, 23-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Apology

(...) Hoser! Kev P.S. Dave, my friend, I knew this was a sore spot. I was just tickling it a bit, not meaning to pour salt. I'm so open minded that I have a Canadian friend that lives here in the lower 48. It is clear from him that this horrible (...) (17 years ago, 23-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Improving the firmware?

If anyone is still listening to suggestions, I would like to have the ability to spawn a thread. I don't know how threads are handled in NXT-G, but in NBC, there is no way to create a thread to kick off a task while moving on to other tasks in the (...) (17 years ago, 22-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: NXC News

(...) Great sites! I have asked Danny Benedettelli to put together an NXC Tutorial based on the existing NQC Tutorial and NBC Tutorial. He's making great progress on that so it should be available soon. And I'm feverishly working on finishing the (...) (17 years ago, 22-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: NXC News

(...) Matthias, you forgot the other german Workshops and FAQ's ;-) FAQ, Workshop und Tutorial zu NXC gibt es hier: (URL) FAQ, Workshop zu pbLua (URL) Regards Christian (17 years ago, 22-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: NXC News

Someone sent me a link today to what I guess is one of the first existing tutorials for NXC, at least the first one in German (please correct me if I'm wrong): (URL) if this here allegedly is an "American forum" (HOOOTS!), it might be of interest (...) (17 years ago, 22-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Thanks for the support - I thought I was the only one! My main aim was to go for the sort of graphics libraries that support games, so if you could spare the memory you could draw on hidden screens, copy chunks of screens around, display (...) (17 years ago, 22-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  NXC News

I have just released a new beta of NBC/NXC. It is available from the NBC website: (URL) has been updated with a few syntax highlighting changes (minor). The latest test release is at (URL) via the link in the NXT News section near the top. Version (...) (17 years ago, 22-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) This would definitely be useful for me! I am currently programming an interface for controling a train layout. This is the kind of thing that needs good graphics. There is a lot of situation where advanced graphics are useful in robotics. (...) (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: This is the cancer that is killing Lugnet (Was Re: Apology)

(...) <snip> (...) 'Cause you know, inserting a little levity to make an otherwise argumentative thread a little brighter never helps. (is the sarcasm filter not working??) Lessons learned? Some people want to get in the last snipe, even after all (...) (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: This is the cancer that is killing Lugnet (Was Re: Apology)

(...) Umm... the only person arguing here is you: the original posters had a problem with each other, that they resolved; argument ended. Period. If the two principles have moved beyond this, well... (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt, FTX)

  RE: Another Challenge. Performance Comparison

(...) Here's my distilled summary of relative execution speeds of various Mindstorms products / environments. All data is normalized to the fastest performance. Relative Platform Product Speed 1X NXT RobotC 2X NXT Robolab 15X NXT NXT-G 5-10X RCX (...) (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  RE: What do these macros do? [IOMAP Access Execution Times

(...) You're right. IOMapRead and IOMapWrite are very slow functions. They're slow because you pass a character string for the name of the module you want to access; the NXT-G firmware runs through the list of modules looking for a match on the (...) (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: This is the cancer that is killing Lugnet (Was Re: Apology)

(...) ...//snip... ...snip// (...) In fact, the whole Internet is a wasteland !! Anybody can do anything there!! For me LUGNET/robotics is an excellent forum. I participate for several years now and I must appreciate the contributions of many (...) (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  This is the cancer that is killing Lugnet (Was Re: Apology)

OK, so from what I can gather: 1) Someone asks a (URL) question>. 2) Steve tells her to make a (URL). 3) John knocks out a brownie-points (URL) comparison chart> in about ten minutes. 4) Steve, having intended to follow his own advice, loses his (...) (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt, FTX)

  Re: What do these macros do?

(...) Thanks for your response, John. That tip about the dirty flag not being IOMAPpable is very, very useful; I could have wasted a lot of time working that out the hard way. I'm working on a graphical display widget to show a 'radar' (well, sonar) (...) (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Apology

(...) Ahhh, I see you are too ;) ROSCO (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Apology

(...) Ooooh... :^I - nose out of joint I do live on the North American continent. However, the word 'American' was hijacked by some country to the south of us. We up here in the 'Great White North' are *not* Americans. Rather we are... ummm... Well, (...) (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Any experience with measuring rotations?

(...) Well put quite simply... The probability of some event A occurring given that event B has occurred is equal to the probability of event B occurring given that event A has occurred, multiplied by the probability of event A occurring and divided (...) (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, FTX)

  Re: Like A Rock Crawler Hauler

"Steve Hassenplug" <steve@teamhassenplug.org> wrote in message news:6.2.3.4.0.20070...lug.org... (...) way, as my browser displays a 404 File Not Found error. It's title is Unload Truck 2. Other than that I liked the other videos and the pics of (...) (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.laflrc)

  Re: Any experience with measuring rotations?

(...) What I need to do compute the average position of a number of items across the length of the teeter-totter (!). If, on average, they are in the middle, then there is no rotation and I should get zero. If there are more on the left than the (...) (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Any experience with measuring rotations?

(...) Thanks for the technical details, Claude. It's going to take me some time to get through this! Rafe (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Any experience with measuring rotations?

(...) Hi Tommy, This is a good idea; I'll try the ultrasonic sensor to see what it can do. Thanks! (17 years ago, 21-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Any experience with measuring rotations?

(...) I made a sequence of stacked 1x2 plates, running from black to red, through green dark grey, light grey, tan, white, yellow, and orange on the way there. My nxt gave me reflected light values running from about 12 to about 52. The nine steps (...) (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Like A Rock Crawler Hauler

(...) Well, all my LEGO is tmeporarily put away for a three-year-old's birthday party, but this morning I finally got a Rock Crawler working... and it immediately stalled out in a pile of NXT kit spare parts :-( Sigh. At least it easily drives over (...) (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.laflrc)

  Re: Any experience with measuring rotations?

(...) Well... there's two things here, and Steve solution actually addresses them both. Do you actually need a continual series of states, and the "weight" of the thing on the end of the beam, or just know if something *is* on the end of the beam? (...) (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Any experience with measuring rotations?

(...) In the document (URL) find a paper-disk with grey gradient. The document was part of my presentation at the 2005 Annual Robolab Conference in Austin/TX. There was a second part (URL) don't remember, if those documents ever have been available (...) (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Any experience with measuring rotations?

(...) I am not really an NXT guru, but seems the best way would be to simply measure the distance and calculate the angle. Tommy Armstrong (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Any experience with measuring rotations?

(...) I am not rally an NXT guru, but seems the best way would be to simply measure the distance and calculate the angle. Tommy Armstrong (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Any experience with measuring rotations?

(...) Don't mess with colors. Just use a gradient. You'll have a mostly linear set of values. With my black & white studs, there are also several shades of gray in between (like a little black & mostly white...) (...) no. :) Steve (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Any experience with measuring rotations?

(...) "It's foolproof!" (...) This sounds like a good idea. I'm thinking I'm going to have to work out a sequence of more than just two shades, but that's what weekends are for, right? So, if I could make of sequence of colors that have increasing (...) (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Any experience with measuring rotations?

(...) Easy. A light sensor. Point the sensor at a disk that's shaded from white to black. I've used that to detect the distance a robot is from a wall (wall following), using just a black & a white dot (1x1) which are moved in front of the sensor. (...) (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Any experience with measuring rotations?

Hi all, I am working on a "project" where I want to measure some reasonably small rotations, things on the order of +/- 10 degrees or less. Just to make it hard, the force acting on the thing being rotated is small, like, completely hypothetically, (...) (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Like A Rock Crawler Hauler

(...) Very cool Steve... I can also atest the turn radius will stink since I did the same mod to the red tow truck set last year. You said you are using old style light sensors...Interfacing them to the NXT with the converter cables I assume? B (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.laflrc)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Nothing, it restarts back to blank screen, samba clicking mode. (...) Same thing. I also tried pulling the batteries for a few seconds. Telling USB Probe to refresh. 100 different combinations of resetting with and without usb plugged in, (...) (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Tony, thanks for the work so far. What happens if, after the firmware is loaded you do any of the following: 1. Reset the NXT (press reset for less than 1 second) 2. Unplug the USB cable, wait 5 seconds, and plug it back in again (...) Here's (...) (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

Here are my notes on what I've been able to accomplish so far in OSX on my MacBookPro. Loading pbLua firmware on nxt running standard firmware: 1. plugin usb 2. rename nxt-lua.bin to nxt-lua.rfw 3. open NXT-G, goto Tools -> Update NXT Firmware. (...) (17 years ago, 20-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Apology

(...) Uh, Dave. Aren't you an american? Last time I checked, Canada was on the top of the north American continent :^P Kevin (17 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Ralph, I can wait for API-docs 8-) In the meantime I try to find out how USB-communication (with libusb and terminalemulation) can work on OSX (10.4.x) and Linux. Is the NXT acting like an USB-Modem (asynchronous communication) What are the (...) (17 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) I think pbLua is actually running. The problem is that the signon screen does not get displayed until the USB connection is made. Which is why I need to find out how USB enumeration happens on a Mac. The pbLua firmware makes the NXT look like (...) (17 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) I'm still building and finalizing the API. I should probably start posting some questions on this forum... Eventually I'd like to get the API and the Lua table out there but I need to get docs set up. If you can help with install instructions (...) (17 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Like A Rock Crawler Hauler

We've been playing around with Rock Crawlers for a while, so I finally put up a web page with a bunch of pictures and descriptions on it. (URL) addition to my Rock Crawler (and a link to John's trucks), about half way down the page, there are (...) (17 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.laflrc)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) It sounds like you DID get it loaded right here. At this point, I believe you need to unplug the NXT from the USB, then reconnect it. (...) You need to reset the NXT. Press and hold the reset button for 5 seconds. Then, you should be able to (...) (17 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

What is the method to load the pbLua firmware, preferably in OS X? It's a .bin file so NXT-G doesn't recognize it. I tried renaming it to a .rfw file and it succeeds but then gets stuck in samba click mode. Then I tried libnxt's fwflash, holding (...) (17 years ago, 19-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Apology

(...) You know, if this was an international forum, you'd at least expect the second letter of Jürgen's name to print properly... Jason R (17 years ago, 18-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

Hi Ralph, it's great to see this. I'm eager to have a play. Apologies if I've been part of the bother with sending you emails. In releasing details of your toolset, are you revealing your source code too? Both would be an enormous help to people (...) (17 years ago, 18-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Apology

(...) Double A-Hem! Dave K (17 years ago, 18-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Apology

(...) Ahem. Jürgen (17 years ago, 18-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Apology

(...) Please, everybody just back away from the irony. We can all see how this happened - it's primarily an American forum and some people were just making their first attempts at sarcasm. If we can all walk away now we promise never to bring this (...) (17 years ago, 18-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Apology

(...) John, Thank you very much. I think this is not only appreciated by me, but also by the community. Nobody comes here because they want to start a fight, or watch a fight. We come here to play & forget the stress of everyday life. This goes a (...) (17 years ago, 18-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Apology

I would like to extend my sincere apologies to Steve H for posting a software comparison page similar to his and announcing it here. I would also like to apologize to Ralph H for messing up his thread by mentioning the page there. It was wrong for (...) (17 years ago, 18-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Hi Ralph, I have some more questions about pbLua... Is the NXT-Lua-API public available ? My idea is to use your pbLua-functions at my PC running Lua-Interpreter, replaceing low level stuff with own functions... This allows me to write and (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Greetings, Steve. I am glad to see all this info in one place. Next time you update your table, you could replace the ??? in the Lejos NXJ column, floating point row, with a YES. No doubt about it. The Java Math library was even implemented in (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Ralph, thanx for the great work independently from the trouble at the list, I have some questions: What is needed to communicate with the NXT at PC side (Linux or OSX) Terminalemulation ? How are files transfered to the NXT ? XModem, ZModem, (...) (17 years ago, 17-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

Finally! I can put an actual link to your project on the sidebar! (17 years ago, 17-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, FTX)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

John - Your accusation that Steve wouldn't correct facts is not true...your debate (held on a private forum) with him was over a row in the table that contained his opinions - and Steve always represented them as HIS opinions. ***...*** To the rest (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, FTX)

  Re: Programming for NXT

(...) I've spent a great deal of time talking with developers and updating the page, so I believe all the facts are correct. I apologize if I gave you the impression I was not going to correct factual errors. Steve (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Bryan, you should be more careful about making unfounded libelous accusations. I did not copy Steve's page. I gathered the data independently. I began the project on my own in response to a query in the lugnet.robotics newsgroup. Were portions (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Comparing software

I get a lot of people asking what the "best" software is for the NXT. Of course, this is a complex question that depends on the user, and intended goal of the program. So, for the last several days, members of the Mindstorms Community Partners (MCP) (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) Maybe we should use the word "coincidence" that both parties were working on similar projects at the same time. Stranger things have happened you know. Lightup SW figs for instance. Who would have thought that two entities would invent the (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, John Hansen wrote: <snip> (...) <snip> (...) All - it is appropriate to note that the table referred to above was created by Steve Hassenplug. It was reformatted to put NBC and NXC first and recolored. Oh, and the column (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) That's a very nice page, John. I'm glad you at least went through the trouble of changing the background, before you claimed to have done the work and posted it. Here's the page I've been working on for several days, before John copied it. (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) No need to apologize, Ralph. And I definitely didn't mean to hijack your thread. Unfortunately some folks hear "assembly" and get a completely mistaken impression about NBC. Anyone who has had a look at Ross Crawford's NBC Tuturial knows how (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: What do these macros do?

(...) Lots of very cool stuff deleted. Sorry I missed your original message, Jeff. You can write to both the Normal and Popup screen memory and toggle back and forth between which one gets displayed. This code flips between the two buffers for 10 (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Electromagnetic device

Thanks everybody for the explanations! Everything start to make sense now. I understand that a resitor will limit only voltage across the circuit, but not current, this is very clear also. So, i will look for a small electromagnet, (9 volts) because (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) not simple text-based languages for the NXT. Sorry for any confusion. Ralph (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Electromagnetic device

Yes, you can use an electromagnet with the RCX. Depends on what you want to do with it, but it should work. The device from a disk drive might be a 12 volt device, or 5. The RCX puts out around 8-9, so either way the device isn't drawing the correct (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) This is a fantastic development! Not too long ago, I was involved in Sony PSP hacking. Although the GCC toolchain was relatively easy to build, and lots of sample code was around for writing C++ programs for the PSP, the rate of new software (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, FTX)

  Re: Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

(...) I am very excited about the availability of pbLua. It looks extremely cool. And fast. BricxCC already has built-in support for Lua syntax highlighting. You can also have BricxCC claim the .lua file extension via the Preferences dialog if you (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: ReMix of LEGO NXT Starter Robot

(...) Yes... (...) Unfortunately no, the digital motor port signals are input only (they are buffered by a Schmitt trigger). Philo (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Electromagnetic device

(...) I would add that it will take some experimenting to get the parameters correct. Pick your operating conditions (parallel outputs, or no, etc...) and then given the supply voltage and maximum current allowance, you know the coil resistance you (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Text Based Programming for NXT - pbLua is Available

All, For those of you that have been asking the question: "When will we get a simple text-based programming environment for the NXT?" I can now announce the availability of pbLua Beta 1 at: (URL) This is an implementation of Lua 5.1 for the NXT, and (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt) !

  Re: Electromagnetic device

"Patrick Levy" <patrick@omiccron.com.br> wrote in message news:JBxJ1I.En@lugnet.com... (...) when you use an electromagnet with the RCX. You didn't post the technical specifications of the electromagnet you have wired up to the sensors, did it have (...) (17 years ago, 16-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Electromagnetic device

(...) supply. You might want to measure the coil resistance to see what kind of current it is trying to draw from your RCX. I do notice from your picture that you have a version 1.0 RCX equipped with an AC power input jack. Have you tried running (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, FTX)

  Re: ReMix of LEGO NXT Starter Robot

(...) Ah, thanks for the correction. I've only studied portions of the hardware docs so far, mostly regarding the sensor ports. I realized after I posted that I hadn't completely checked my facts. (I hate when that happens!) So does this mean that (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: ReMix of LEGO NXT Starter Robot

Hi Chris, (...) that is not quite right, there is an ATMEGA48 microcontroller insider the NXT Brick which generates the waveforms. It is connected to the main processor via an I2C-style interface. Besides that it also controls power to the NXT, (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: ReMix of LEGO NXT Starter Robot

(...) I am curious if you have tried measuring distance travelled simply by reading back the NXT motor encoder values? You would need to calibrate your 'bot so that you know the ratio of encoder units to centimeters or inches travelled (which would (...) (17 years ago, 15-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, FTX)

  Re: Sending Textmessages via Bluetooth to PC

OK, sent you an email with the NBC program and the Perl script. If anyone else would like it let me know. (17 years ago, 15-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Sending Textmessages via Bluetooth to PC

(...) Hi David, yes please... I'm very interessed in setting up BT-Communication-Parameters... Is there a snapshot of your code public available ? Thanx Christian (17 years ago, 14-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Sending Textmessages via Bluetooth to PC

I have written a quick-and-dirty NBC program that sends messages via BT to the PC. Then I have another quick-and-dirty Perl script on the PC that captures the messages and displays them to the screen or you can redirect to a file. I've been using it (...) (17 years ago, 14-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Sending Textmessages via Bluetooth to PC

(...) Yes, I've seen it, but I have no Win32 system ... I'd like to create a general soltution for any system (e.g. OSX and Linux). NXT-->BT-->Serial2Net-->Syslog Simple Serial2Net-functionality can be realized with socat. Thanx for more (...) (17 years ago, 14-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Sending Textmessages via Bluetooth to PC

(...) There is a debugger available for NBC, I'm pretty sure it supports bluetooth, but I don't have a BT device on my computer (yet) so haven't tried that. You can download it here: (URL) has lots of features and works very well over USB link. (...) (17 years ago, 13-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Improving the firmware?

(...) And I "third" this motion. I've started going through the "fun" process of building GCC for NXT, but don't have enough gigabytes of free space on my LEGO dev machine (under CygWin) to get all the way through the process. Although I don't think (...) (17 years ago, 13-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Sending Textmessages via Bluetooth to PC

Hello Community, I try to realize some kind of debugging interface for NXT NBC/NXC... Idea: sending clear text messages like syslog to PC Is this possible with NXC ? My problem is the understanding how to do it the right way... 1. setup connection (...) (17 years ago, 13-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: What do these macros do?

Ok, well, replying to my own message in the best of internet style... I got impatient and starting prodding. After a few hard resets, I came up with the following: Yes, the Get/SetDisplayNormal() permits you to write directly to screen memory. This (...) (17 years ago, 11-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: What do these macros do?

(...) YES jeff, you need to do your own firmare.. AND it needs to be a form of BASIC!!!!! :) Chris 10 ? clr 20 goto 10 (17 years ago, 11-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.robotics)

  What do these macros do?

I've been poking around with my NXT, and as usual I've decided to bite off more than I can chew. In trying to discover a way to *unset* pixels on the display without wiping the whole thing, I've been sifting through some of the less-discussed macros (...) (17 years ago, 11-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.robotics)

  New York City NXT Meet-up

I have the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT ROBOTICS SET and since I'm so "into it", my father and I were thinking we could start up a Lego MindStorms NXT Meet up group/club in New York City where we could meet once a month (or every other month), build, (...) (17 years ago, 11-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: HiTechnic Compass Sensor Problems

(...) There is a problem with v1.01 of the LEGO firmware. You must have either V1.03 or V1.04. (I had that problem, also) The compass works fine with the newer firmware. It does say that on the HiTechnic web site, but it's not very obvious. Steve (17 years ago, 10-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  HiTechnic Compass Sensor Problems

If anyone is having trouble with the HiTechnic Compass Sensor you would not be the only one. I could not get it to work no matter what I tried. Before contacting Lego I checked for new updates and remembered the firmware 1.04 that I never did it (...) (17 years ago, 10-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  ReMix of LEGO NXT Starter Robot

Hi All, I've just posted an entry on my blog (URL) on a ReMix project using the LEGO NXT Starter Robot kit. I'm creating a PoC (Proof Of Concept) bot that can measure distances using a "STRAIT LINE" eRolling Tape. To see the PoC "Measurebot!" device (...) (17 years ago, 8-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Improving the firmware?

(...) I second this. I know there are several people working on revised firmware, though I suspect they all started quite a while ago through the developer programme. I've got experience of developing for embedded systems and can make some sense of (...) (17 years ago, 8-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Improving the firmware?

In article <JBFwGp.30p@lugnet.com>, Guy Ziv <guy@nxtasy.org> writes (...) I would like to be able to rebuild the firmware & experiment with it before I get too ambitious. Has anybody fixed up the code to build with the gcc tools and made it (...) (17 years ago, 8-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Improving the firmware?

(...) These would be very nice to have, but they cannot be integrated into NXT-G unless you modify the compiler (which we can't!). NBC/NXC can benefit from such improvements, of course. I think there are many improvements which WOULD make a (...) (17 years ago, 7-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Improving the firmware?

Hi all, I doubt this will go through, as I've never been able to post anything to this group yet... I know that the group of us working on the Transterpreter[1] are actively interested in collaborating on such an effort. While the kinds of (...) (17 years ago, 7-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Connect BT devices to the NXT without a passkey?

In article <025201c73045$8574a7...kdesktop>, Dick Swan <dickswan@sbcglobal.net> writes (...) This is true. (...) The pre-approved Bluetooth low level stack is proprietary to CSR. The code that runs in CSR's Virtual Machine to implement the serial (...) (17 years ago, 7-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

  Re: Improving the firmware?

(...) I am very interested in a community project to enhance the NXT standard firmware. I've submitted a few bug fixes and enhancements to LEGO already which hopefully will make it into the next official firmware release. Enhancements I plan on (...) (17 years ago, 6-Jan-07, to lugnet.robotics.nxt)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact