 Robotics / NXT / 340
Re: ReMix of LEGO NXT Starter Robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:27:46 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Don Wilcher wrote:
   I’ve just posted an entry on my blog http://www.family-science.net/Blog.htm on a ReMix project using the LEGO NXT Starter Robot kit. I’m creating a PoC (Proof Of Concept) bot that can measure distances using a “STRAIT LINE” eRolling Tape. To see the PoC “Measurebot!” device I’ve provided a small video clip on the blog as well. Also, I spliced a 6 pin header to the RJ12 cable via soldering so I may have access to the ARM processor’s I/O pins for electronic sensor and controls lab experiments and projects development as well.

I am curious if you have tried measuring distance travelled simply by reading back the NXT motor encoder values? You would need to calibrate your ‘bot so that you know the ratio of encoder units to centimeters or inches travelled (which would depend on the gearing and wheels used) but you should be able to get a very reliable reading without using any external hardware. The demo robot model is capable of very precise navigation-by-odometry, which leads me to believe that you could measure distance traveled with very high accuracy using this technique.

I was also wondering if you were aware of the documentation that LEGO has made available regarding the NXT, which will probably answer many of the questions that you have regarding the control signals present on the NXT wires. It would seem that the motors are controlled using digital command packets sent over an I2C interface, and the actual motor control waveforms are generated internally to the servo motor unit itself. The NXT connector also has two lines that are basically RCX-compatible I/O lines. I could be wrong, but I think that anything you might learn by attaching a scope to these control lines has already been documented for you by LEGO.

Hope this helps!